stupid question about damp houses.

(13 Posts)
gillybeanz Mon 19-Sep-16 14:23:26

We are hoping to downsize into an easier to maintain house as we have always lived in money pits.
Old houses with character are great but now we need something where we can live easier without so much housework, nooks and crannies and bloody damp.

So my question:

What sort of era would be looking at?
Definitely not looking for new build or estate, would rather stay where we are than live on an estate and i come over all funny at the words cul de sac grin
So, bearing that in mind what's left?

PigletJohn Mon 19-Sep-16 14:33:41

Houses built since the 1930's will mostly be built with cement mortar and have DPCs in the walls.

If they suffer from damp it will probably be because of a fault that can be repaired, or due to malfeasance by the occupiers, such as draping wet washing inside or having steamy baths and showers with no extractor fan.

Post-war houses will usually have cavity walls which gives an extra protection against some damp and also reduces heat loss a bit.

gillybeanz Mon 19-Sep-16 15:06:09

Thanks Piglet John

We have done up lots of old houses and lived in a few, but this one we have had everything possible done and it is still damp.
I think it's the nooks and crannies though that attract it and our under stairs cupboard. Just found our dart board covered in mould as we keep it under there, this was the last straw tbh as over the years have lost so many of our treasured belongings.
Have had enough and moving to more modern.
Will look at 30's onwards thanks

Pradaqueen Wed 21-Sep-16 06:07:17

Cul-de-as you say Gilly?

This is for sale wink

www.dailymail.co.uk/wires/ap/article-3798372/House-played-Harry-Potters-Privet-Drive-home-sale.html

OliviaBenson Wed 21-Sep-16 08:37:07

What do you mean by have done everything possible? If old properties, things like lime plaster should be used, good ventilation, not drying clothing, finding leaks etc.

Good luck with your search.

RTKangaMummy Wed 21-Sep-16 08:50:20

We have moved from a house built in 1929 with no damp but draughty (so well ventilated!!) and 1930s house with damp due to lots of trees around North end of it, so North facing walls were not getting any sun and double glazed with no trickle vents

We are now in 60s house which we love with huge double glazed windows and trickle vents BUT we now have a dehumidifier machine so every couple of days close the vents and put it on and it really collects lots of water as we are desperate not to get damp in this house

Good luck smile

notmyfirst Wed 21-Sep-16 09:48:36

Moved from 1950's (rented) house with damp to 1950's (bought) house without damp, and it seems to be our lifestyle that causes the damp. Got a dehumidifier and although it adds a bit to the electric bill, it's a lifesaver. House much drier and I'm amazed how much moisture is sucked out of the air which otherwise would end up on the walls/floor and cause issues.

TattyCat Wed 21-Sep-16 12:57:12

Every home should own a dehumidifier, whether young or old. I've been amazed at mine; this house (circa 1903) generates very little moisture which is good but the renovation cottage (circa 1840 with no c.heating) we've just bought fills the tank overnight.

PigletJohn Wed 21-Sep-16 13:38:38

I don't need one.

gillybeanz Wed 21-Sep-16 21:18:26

I'd forgotten about this, thanks for the comments.

We have all windows open when the air outside isn't damp, we are both at home alot.
We use a dehumidifier when it is bad, but you shouldn't have to really.
The walls have had all plaster off up to a metre and replastered damp course checked out by pro's.
We did have cavity wall insulation but took it out as it traps bloody moisture in the wall.
We have extractors in kitchen and bathroom, air bricks downstairs and all bedrooms have ventilation through bricks in corners, just under the ceiling. I know they work because the air flow creates a drought in the winter.
it is built 1923.
We don't dry clothes in the house, except the drier is in conservatory but goes out through a pipe in the panel.
I'm now concerned that a pp had damp in a 1950's house, looks like we have to get modern to escape the bloody grim damp.
We really don't want new build estate, it's just not us. sad

gillybeanz Wed 21-Sep-16 21:22:56

prada

I'd rather chew my own foot off.
Apologies to those who like this type of house, I hope you live in one and it makes you happy.

notmyfirst Fri 23-Sep-16 16:15:58

To clarify my previous post - since the houses are identical I'm pretty sure it was our lifestyle causing the damp in the previous house (drying clothes inside, not opening windows etc). We're determined to stop that in the new house, but the de-humidifier works a lot (old habits die hard).

TeacupDrama Fri 23-Sep-16 16:36:25

We live in 1880's house and it's never been damp we live in West coast of Scotland so no shortage of rain, some old houses may have faults but some damp problems in older houses are caused by using modern products instead of breathable ones etc, other problems are caused by lack of heating and / or ventilation ( the same people that make mumsnet chickens last a week and find anything above 14C too hot) or lifestyle like drying clothes indoors lots of steamy showers never opening windows

No old house should have cavity wall insulation as it causes more damp problems by sealing damp in and stopping walls breathing

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now