DIY Kitchens: wood effect cabinets with painted doors?

(6 Posts)
Pumakatari Fri 16-Sep-16 16:47:32

We're looking at a shaker style painted kitchen from DIY kitchens. I'd love to have a light oak effect inside the cupboards, but am worried that the front edges of the cabinets will look strange in the small gaps between the doors. I know the end panels cover the ends of the cupboards and will match the painted doors - but will it all work? They sell a tape which can be used to make the front edges of the cabinets a closer colour to the doors - but as this is applied at home, I can imagine it peeling off and looking messy too! Has anyone done this wooden cabinet with painted door thing? Any advice/experience gratefully received!

RaisingSteam Fri 16-Sep-16 20:04:36

We have this. Light oak cabinets and light grey doors. We also have oak drawer boxes. TBH it looks fine. The tiny gap is in shadow so you never see the oak effect colour. Maybe it would be different if they were black doors on white cabinets. I like it that they are a natural looking finish inside even if it is only Great British Chipboard.
The cabinets have a reinforced edge strip I wouldn't want to stick tape over it.

RaisingSteam Fri 16-Sep-16 20:08:26

Dullest picture ever uploaded to MN!

swissy56 Sat 17-Sep-16 17:39:06

grin

OnePlanOnHouzz Sun 18-Sep-16 18:47:59

If you use an inframe door like a norton instead of a lay on door - problem solved !

Pumakatari Mon 19-Sep-16 03:32:28

Thank you very much, RaisingSteam - you might think it a dull picture but it was EXACTLY what I wanted to see! :-)

OnePlan - an inframe door would be a sensible alternative. I'm going round in circles: we originally bought a kitchen from a company which went out of business before supplying our order, and I've been trying to replicate it through DIY Kitchens. If I go down the inframe route, I'd have to do without some pull-outs that I was rather keen on, as they don't come in the inframe model. But it would be an option.

Thank you both for your input - really appreciated.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now