Family bathroom

(12 Posts)
celtiethree Fri 16-Sep-16 15:21:16

Hi, I'm posting to get some views on what we should do with our family bathroom. It's a 5 bedroom house, two bedrooms en-suite and one of the en-suite bathrooms has both a shower and a bath. The third bathroom which is used by our DC also has a shower and bath, the bath is never used and the shower is what I would describe as a standard square cubicle.

The bathroom that the DC use needs some work, I would like a bigger shower for the DC, would it impact resale if we got rid of the bath and put in a large rectangular shower stall? The current space where the shower is could be converted into a cupboard. There is another bath that family with young children could use it just wouldn't be in the 'family' bathroom?

Would appreciate some opinions.

Thanks

PurpleDaisies Fri 16-Sep-16 15:24:03

I'd be put off if there wasn't a bath in the family bathroom. It seems a bit awkward to have to go into an ensuite to bath kids.

PurpleDaisies Fri 16-Sep-16 15:25:29

Posted too early-if the room is big enough for a bath it wouldn't necessarily be a deal breaker but a proper family bathroom was on our list of essentials.

TotalConfucius Fri 16-Sep-16 15:51:25

Regarding the ensuite with the bath in, does it have a wall adjoining the landing - could it be given two entrances, so that when it was a 'family' bathroom it could be accessed from the hall, or when it was needed as an 'ensuite' the hallway door could be locked off to give privacy?
I too think the bath is best sited in a family bathroom, or in the bathroom closest to where young children will sleep. I don't like the idea of young children having ensuites either (for safety reasons), although I know that is not what you're planning.

PigletJohn Fri 16-Sep-16 17:34:18

If you are in the UK, buyers expect at least one bathroom with a bath for general use. However it is OK to have additional shower rooms, especially en-suites.

yikesanotherbooboo Fri 16-Sep-16 18:04:38

I fully understand your temptation as I have a slightly similar set up ( 1 ensure with shower over bath, 1 shower room downstairs and one family bathroom with no shower)and am needing to update the family bathroom. We moved here when I had two tiny DC and one of my favourite rooms was the family bathroom with big old bath., so although it rarely gets used now when we do update I will probably go for bath again ; thinking about eventual resale. If I can't cram decent sized shower in I will go for biggest bath possible with shower over.
In fact my teenage DC always use shower over bath rather than larger separate shower ( which DH Abi prefer) so I know that this arrangement can work.

celtiethree Fri 16-Sep-16 18:04:49

Thanks everyone - I think we'll stick with the current set-up! It's not possible to make a room from the hallway into the other bathroom that has a bath. I will see if we can squeeze in a slightly bigger shower tray where the existing shower is. I think that may be possible.

user1471549018 Fri 16-Sep-16 22:15:29

I'd disagree and say it's only young children (and me) that you need to have a bath for therefore as long as there was one in the ensuite I'd be fine not having one in the family bathroom. You can't stop toddlers traipsing through your bedroom anyway whereas no way I'd share my ensuite bath with teenagers!

YelloDraw Sat 17-Sep-16 12:07:19

What about getting one of those really big P shaped baths? My parents have one and it really is a big space to shower in. Its also nice as a bath because you can manovour yourself right down under the water.

I think that is more attractive than a normal sized bath and separate shower.

PigletJohn Sat 17-Sep-16 23:01:04

The really annoying thing about P shaped baths is when the flimsy, special-shape bath panel breaks, and a new one of the exact peculiar shape is either unobtainable, or costs eleventy million pounds.

sentia Sat 17-Sep-16 23:07:02

Showers over baths are awful, even the P-shaped ones. I would be seriously put off by a house that big not having a proper shower in the family bathroom.

PurpleDaisies Sun 18-Sep-16 09:28:56

I don't agree with sentia. I've always had a shower over the bath and wouldn't be put off at all.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now