Buzzing dimmer switch

(18 Posts)
HeyMacWey Fri 16-Sep-16 13:41:29

It's really loud when the light is turned full on.
Not sure how old the switch is - prob about 15 years.
If I replace it will it stop buzzing or is it just one of those things that happens with dimmer switches?

GinGinGin Fri 16-Sep-16 13:44:51

Mine buzzes too, but generally only when it's on a low dim. Just thought it was one of those things!

whattaway Fri 16-Sep-16 13:48:23

Got one too, on low dim buzzes.

CheeseBadger Fri 16-Sep-16 13:50:02

What sort of bulbs are you using with it? Has the buzzing started since you changed to this type of bulb? I assume you're not still using incandescent bulbs, but that you were 15 years ago...

mumhum Fri 16-Sep-16 13:52:16

You probably don't have the right bulb, change it to one which says it is definitely for dimmer switches

HeyMacWey Fri 16-Sep-16 14:11:58

Definitely a dimmer bulb - brand new today.
It's always buzzed iirc but it seems extra loud now - haven't used it really as previously it had an energy efficient bulb so didn't work with the dimmer switch.

CheeseBadger Fri 16-Sep-16 15:16:44

I believe some bulbs are worse than others, and the noise can depend on whether the switch is dimming by varying voltage or duty cycle. If it's a duty cycle dimmer and the buzz is coming from the switch, I'd try replacing the switch. Less drastically, you could see if a different brand of bulb helps.

CheeseBadger Fri 16-Sep-16 15:17:51

Sort of related article here.

icingonthewall Fri 16-Sep-16 15:18:22

I think they DO buzz, which is one of the reasons we don't have them (they're also very very energy inefficient...)

PigletJohn Fri 16-Sep-16 16:52:37

"Definitely a dimmer bulb - brand new today. "

Do you mean a dimmable LED, or do you mean an incandescent bulb with a filament?

HeyMacWey Fri 16-Sep-16 17:02:14

Dimmable led

PigletJohn Fri 16-Sep-16 17:09:26

A dimmable LED is unlikely to be compatible with a 15-year-old dimmer that was designed for use with incandescent lights.

PigletJohn Fri 16-Sep-16 17:13:05

One of these probably is
www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_Index/Lighting_Menu_Index/Wiring_Accessories~Dimmers_All/VL_Dimmers_White_J/index.html

I don't know enough about LED dimming. The maker of the lamp and the dimmer may mention what type they are.

HeyMacWey Fri 16-Sep-16 22:52:46

Thank you - I'll do some research over the weekend.

MrsBungle Fri 16-Sep-16 22:56:56

Mine does this. I was so concerned I called an electrician. He told me they are meant to buzz a bit, I can't remember exactly what he said but he said totally safe.

SixFeetUnder Fri 16-Sep-16 23:07:24

Have just asked my electrician husband for you and he says that it could mean the switch is on it's way out and needs replaced. Something to do with a coil inside or something. So if you've had the switch a while might be worthwhile replacing it.

HeyMacWey Sat 17-Sep-16 20:06:27

Great - thank you - I'll find a replacement to be on the safe side!

brumeye Sat 17-Sep-16 20:25:19

We did a lot of research into dimmers for our recent extension. Went for Varilight V-pro which is designed specifically for dimmable LED; they work perfectly for us and there's no buzzing at all.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now