Spiral staircases

(9 Posts)
Blondie1984 Thu 15-Sep-16 22:53:55

Does anyone have any experience of living in a house with a spiral staircase? Am intrigued to know what it's like and how practical they are - I'm guessing that when it comes to moving furniture etc it can be a real challenge.
Would also be interested to know if anyone has successfully removed one....
Thanks in advance!

united4ever Thu 15-Sep-16 22:56:57

No but I can see that they would work for loft conversions with little landing space for a normal staircase.....but then that would fail on fire regulations and getting it signed off by the council I guess?

birdladyfromhomealone Thu 15-Sep-16 23:04:36

We have a spiral staircase in our villa in Spain.
It is an up side downside house to take in the views so the spiral staircase is outside to go from the top terrace down to the bedroom terraces.
we never use it but use the internal wide staircase as it feels tight and steep. If indoors I wonder how you could possibly carry anything safely up or down with using just one hand.
I remember watching The Spiral staircase when I was a child about a murder of a blind women so maybe I am biased about spiral staircase?

domesticslattern Thu 15-Sep-16 23:12:37

I loved mine as it was so characterful BUT I used to fall down it quite often. Not good when taken at speed!

VelvetSpoon Thu 15-Sep-16 23:20:19

I lived in one for 4 years, it was a 3 storey house, so 2 spiral flights of stairs!

It was ok, I only fell down it a couple of times (the worst was when I was carrying then toddler DS, and bashed up all my elbow/arm trying to brace myself and not drop him - he was fine!). DS lived there til he was 3 and having to walk up/ down it every day meant he was very careful on stairs, which was no bad thing.

It was a pain getting stuff up/ down stairs. We had a large window on the first floor (with a flat roof in front of it) which we had to use to move some things in. Double mattress just about went up the stairs; metal bedframe had to go through the window. Solid divan base wouldn't fit through either, had to ditch it and buy another one.

The worst bit was when I came to sell; loads of people wouldn't even view it because of the 'odd' staircase.

PigletJohn Fri 16-Sep-16 10:45:53

I knew some people who had one put in "to save space." The woman got a bad hip or knee or something and ended up stuck downstairs.

How would you carry a bed or wardrobe up?

StepAwayFromTheThesaurus Sat 17-Sep-16 10:34:22

We have spiral staircases at work and everyone hates them. They're treacherous.

YelloDraw Sat 17-Sep-16 12:10:16

My friends had one in a kensington mews house - didn't seem to impact resale value or speed of resale!
I do think they moved big bits of furniture through the upstairs patio doors and balcony tho.

I wouldn't even view a house with a spiral staircase unless it was leading to a room that I didn't plan to use.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now