Plastering - can we just paint it?

(16 Posts)
pepperpot99 Thu 15-Sep-16 09:21:58

Just had a load of plastering done, they have done it well . Do we have to paper it first (please say we don't!) or can we paint straight on to it? are there any special primers/undercoats required? thanks in advance everyone.

ShowOfHands Thu 15-Sep-16 09:24:58

You need to do a mist coat first. You can water down a light emulsion and use that if you have any.

twinkletoedelephant Thu 15-Sep-16 09:24:58

Ours is being done tomorrow the guy said to leave it for at least a week to make sure it's dried out then put a sealer on it then paint. Can't wait

Pootles2010 Thu 15-Sep-16 09:26:14

No definitely don't paper it! Wait till its properly dry, then mix up some cheap white emulsion with water. Give it a coat of that all over, then once it's dry paint as usual.

Some people use pva, I was told on here not to, we just did the watered down emulsion and it's worked out lovely.

GiddyOnZackHunt Thu 15-Sep-16 09:26:24

You need to prime it with a most coat which is watered down emulsion. Then you can paint it.
No paper required.

MiaowTheCat Thu 15-Sep-16 10:12:03

I've always done the watered down emulsion and that's worked fine as a base to paint over. Having said that I've got three bloody walls waiting for me to get the motivation up to mist coat them and I can't be bothered at the moment - and fresh, flat, nice dry plaster is sooooo strokeable when I walk past! (after the state of the old plaster- flat walls are bliss)

pepperpot99 Thu 15-Sep-16 10:57:26

Thanks a lot, very good advice smile. I'm so relieved we don't have to paper it! Should I rub it with sandpaper first?

Pootles2010 Thu 15-Sep-16 11:04:04

No just slap the mist coat on. Really make sure plaster is dry first!

FunkyChunk Thu 15-Sep-16 11:04:28

Valspar does a specific trade "mist coat" emulsion for new plaster. We used that instead of faffing around with watering down. The texure of the paint is mixed a lot more watery - around £25 for one of those huge tubs.

We also sanded down and filled any tiny nicks or imperfections.

wowfudge Thu 15-Sep-16 13:04:32

I wouldn't buy specific mist coat paint - sounds like you are paying a lot for water! You can buy a large tub of trade emulsion for less than £25.

MiaowTheCat Thu 15-Sep-16 13:04:43

DD1 is REALLY pissed off plaster doesn't stay that pink colour when it dries - she thought we'd re-done the living room just to suit her pink obsession!

pepperpot99 Thu 15-Sep-16 13:37:41

thanks a lot everyone smile

PigletJohn Thu 15-Sep-16 14:19:29

If the wall or the plaster is wet (for example, a newly-built house where the walls were exposed to rain before the roof went on; or if there has been a water leak) then it can take months for the walls to dry out.

In this case you can get special porous paint, with no vinyl. Dulux Trade Supermatt is the best known of these. Builders buy it in 16 litre tubs. It allows the wall to dry out without pushing the paint off, and looks quite decent. However it is nowhere near as durable as a modern vinyl emulsion, and will not stand much cleaning or rubbing. The formula trades off durability against porosity. So although it is OK on ceilings, on walls it is usually overpainted within a year or so, at some convenient time, before it gets too scuffed and shabby.

If the wall is an old dry one, then you don't need a porous paint. Leave it a week or two to dry fully pale pink and matt. Any shiny brown patches are still wet. It may help to rub it over with an old damp towel to remove any loose plaster dust from the surface. Open windows are better for drying than heat is.

When painting bare plaster (old or new) apply one or two mist coats of emulsion thinned with water. The mist coat will soak in and disappear. You will know when you have applied enough to kill the suction when the wall no longer sucks your brush dry. Once misted, you can apply your decorative paint.

For economy, you can use matt white emulsion for the mist and first coats, because it is cheaper than colours and will highlight to the eye any remaining defects that you need to correct before the finish coat. It also makes you feel you are not living in a building site, and reduces the amount of (expensive) finish paint you need.

pepperpot99 Fri 16-Sep-16 17:51:48

Thanks so much PigletJohn - you ought to have a weekly column! very helpful and informative. If you have time I have one last question - what proportion to the paint should the water be in the mist coat - 50/50 or a bit less? thanks. Now I need to decide colours but I am so boring I will probably go for magnolia!

PigletJohn Fri 16-Sep-16 18:08:42

the manufacturer's instructions will be on the tub.

For example it might say 10%
Although I like to thin more, so it is like milk, maybe 20%, and apply a couple of mist coats. You do have to stir it very thoroughly, and it is best mixed up in a paint kettle or a very clean old plastic paint tub so that the rest of the paint is not affected.

pepperpot99 Fri 16-Sep-16 18:36:54

Many thanksgrin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now