Has anyone had a new kitchen put in recently?

(23 Posts)
crystalgall Tue 06-Sep-16 16:42:24

Just looking for ideas and recommendations really.

Finally moving house soon and would love some names.

Muddle2000 Tue 06-Sep-16 16:45:48

Use a local independent company not an Ltd or a big name.

MiaowTheCat Tue 06-Sep-16 18:56:35

Ours is a Wickes kitchen, was fitted by an independent guy (who bust his back halfway through the job meaning it went on for bloody ages!).

The kitchen's cracking though - I love it.

Hulababy Tue 06-Sep-16 18:58:41

We got a new kitchen last year, from Howdens. Our builder (was having a new extension) fitted it. Really pleased with the service we had, the cost and the finished kitchen.

PosiePootlePerkins Tue 06-Sep-16 19:04:49

I have to agree with PP about Wickes, we had ours fitted a year ago and I still love it. However we did have an amazing fitter, he was a perfectionist and double checked every detail with us. I think the fitter makes the world of difference.

PurpleBoot Tue 06-Sep-16 19:13:19

Our fitter was fantastic too - made all the difference. We had a Wren kitchen, they made some errors in measurement and customer service not great, but fitter sorted it all out.

puddlejumpingqueen Tue 06-Sep-16 19:27:08

Sorry no advice on the kitchen front but to let you know small independent companies can be "Ltd" companies. Just because it's one guy and a van doesn't mean they are trustworthy. hmm

thisisbloodyridiculous Tue 06-Sep-16 21:28:48

Had a DIY kitchens kitchen fitted (Malton in alabaster) & blooming love it! Used a local fitter recommended to us & it's just the best thing! We love our kitchen!

NanTheWiser Tue 06-Sep-16 21:47:08

My new kitchen was fitted just a week ago. I had wanted a very classic look, and originally looked at Mereway kitchens from Alaris Kitchens, but my fitter showed me an almost identical style from Burbidge, which was less expensive, so went with that. It's bespoke painted oak, and it's gorgeous!

swissy56 Tue 06-Sep-16 23:10:10

DIY kitchens beautiful painted oak kitchen at half the price of competitors

crystalgall Tue 06-Sep-16 23:49:43

I read a brilliant thread on MN last year about how bad Wren are. It put me off them for life!

I really like DIY kitchens but I'm not confident about getting the measurements and specs right. I don't think I've got the vision for it! How easy/hard is it to picture and plan it all ou in an unknown space? We'll be doing a side return extension.

OnePlanOnHouzz Wed 07-Sep-16 07:16:33

Getting measurements is something you need to be methodical about...

I usually suggest you sketch the room first - in you case you can do that looking at architects plans very easily.
Start at the main entrance into the room. Go to the left of the door architrave and measure to the corner - then keep measuring the walls including Windows or any Pillars etc until you get back to the door in again. I always ask that you measure doors as one overall size including the architrave ( as my software draws food like that ) to finish off do a couple of overall measurements - ie top to bottom and left to right .

Check it's about right by adding up the collective sizes and cross checking with the overall .

It's easier with two people - or a laser measure if you have one !

With any design we are doing for people when things aren't built yet, we always add in an infill somewhere that gives flexibility as sometime plastering can change sizes a little, so it's always a good idea to do that !

(If we know you are intending to look at /order from an online supplier we sometimes put live links into the item listing - dependent on the time we have - as that can help too !)

Hope that helps ! smile

OnePlanOnHouzz Wed 07-Sep-16 07:19:01

Haha auto correct ! Draws food ?! Should read draws doors !!! blush

Loumate666 Wed 07-Sep-16 08:24:01

Agree with OnePlanOnHouzz if you're going down the DIYK route - invest £25 in a laser measure given you're going to be spending £'000. FWIW, we got this one from amazon.

Oh, and a big thumbs-up for DIYK from me, superb kitchen and service all around, we went for Broadoak Painted in our choice of F&B colour.

Oliversmumsarmy Wed 07-Sep-16 09:02:11

Another recommendation for DIY Kitchens.

Sketch out your kitchen. Take accurate measurements of every wall curve or jut out and take to a bigger kitchen shop. They will see what can be done then work through the DIY Kitchen website ordering it.

I am fairly confident in what I need for a kitchen refit but even I took a day going over and over making sure I had everything before pressing the button on ordering.

Spent £3500 with them for a similar kitchen I had been quoted anything up to £17500

Verbena37 Wed 07-Sep-16 09:05:59

We designed our own using the IKEA online kitchen design package and it was pretty simple.

Then we bought the whole kitchen (dark grey cupboards and light stone effect worktop) and my dad and DH fitted it. Took them a couple of days and it's a large kitchen but it was all pretty straight forward.

It's modern, good quality and saved us thousands.

namechangedtoday15 Wed 07-Sep-16 09:26:15

Nan I'm a week away from my Burbidge kitchen! So pleased you are happy with yours!!

OP, I trawled and trawled kitchen companies. For me personally, the quality of the DIY Kitchens is way better than any of the high street / similar priced kitchens (and the pricing is much more transparent). Lots of kitchen companies will ask you what your budget it, and then miraculously, when they do the design for you, it comes out just at your budget!!!

If you can get up to the DIY Kitchen showroom it is definitely worth a visit. I went with them 2 years ago - fitters commented on the quality of the carcasses. We've just had an extension and I am only going elsewhere for a new kitchen because I wanted a very specific design this time that I couldn't get from DIY. (But I sold part of the kitchen - buyer couldn't believe it was 2 years old, thought it was brand new and am putting the rest of it in a utility room)

Mum2KSS Wed 07-Sep-16 09:31:10

we've gone for howdens as well and are really happy with it - but as others have said, it all comes down to the fitter really.

NanTheWiser Wed 07-Sep-16 11:09:38

Oooh namechanged! How exciting! Which did you choose? I was originally going for Mereway's Gainsborough, but the Burbidge Kinsale is almost identical, colour is Hessian, a pale taupe shade. Very classic style cos I'm rather old, and it fits well with the rest of my refurbishments. Being decorated as I type, and should all be finished tomorrow!

namechangedtoday15 Wed 07-Sep-16 11:31:22

Nan - we obviously have very similar amazingtaste grin. It sounds lovely! I'm having the Petworth, main run of units in Soft Grey and island unit in Charcoal.

NanTheWiser Wed 07-Sep-16 12:26:48

It'll look fabulous, namechanged, Soft Grey is very similar to Hessian. My fitters took only 9 days to rip out and fit. Floor is Karndean Frosted Birch which complements it beautifully.

crystalgall Wed 07-Sep-16 13:05:45

Thanks oneplan but already I'm like what's an architrave?!

OnePlanOnHouzz Wed 07-Sep-16 13:42:05

Lol !! The wooden trim around the door is architrave !

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now