kitchen worktop

(18 Posts)
isabelle45 Fri 02-Sep-16 22:49:10

Hi I am redoing the kitchen which is quite dark and I really would like a light coloured work top but we eat a lot of curry. Does anyone have a light quartz silestone work top ( we were told that this is the best quality quartz) and does it stain?

I would be really gutted to spend so much money for a work top that stains.

We were told that granite stains more easily if it is light as it is porous but anyone with comments on that would also be of help.

thanks

Blondie1984 Fri 02-Sep-16 22:58:06

We have white corian and find that that is really easy to clean - we are big tea drinkers and there are frequently tea stains on it - they come of really easily with a bleach spray like Cillit Bang

ChablisTyrant Fri 02-Sep-16 23:11:43

When we had a light granite it certainly stained. My DH refuses to have anything except dark granite now for this reason.

wowfudge Fri 02-Sep-16 23:12:48

We have white corian and it is easy to keep clean.

Queasyrider Fri 02-Sep-16 23:35:35

I have an off white silestone worktop and adore curry and red wine. Nothing has ever stained it in the 2 years we've had it. However, as much as I absolutely love the look of it I don't think I'd install it again. It's acquired a fair few chips on the edges of the worktop, particularly above the dishwasher caused by gentle knocks by a cup or bowl. I'm longing to find something that looks as good and is as stain resistant but is a little more hard wearing than Silestone.

OnePlanOnHouzz Sat 03-Sep-16 08:12:15

Another vote for corian here !
Worth every penny !!

isabelle45 Sat 03-Sep-16 20:49:29

thanks for all the replies, hoping quartz might be the right choice.

isabelle45 Sat 03-Sep-16 21:25:40

I was also told to have a round edge as less likely to chip not sure if this is true - queasyrider is yours a square edge ?

its so hard to decide especially given they are so expensive.

isabelle45 Sat 03-Sep-16 21:41:40

Also regarding the light granite they mentioned that it needs sealing every 6-12 months ? did it start to stain straight away ?

namechangedtoday15 Sat 03-Sep-16 21:51:58

Not Silestone - had Compaq - in a very light grey. Never chipped or stained. Am having more or less exactly the same in a new kitchen.

cbigs Sat 03-Sep-16 22:00:18

Were about to put a shitload of relatively light granite in not keen on hearing that it stains! shock

Tubbyinthehottub Sat 03-Sep-16 22:04:14

Yes, light/white quartz in my kitchen. It stains a bit, mainly tea and coffee but is easily removed with Cif cream cleaner and one of those Flash magic kitchen erasers. Or just wipe it before it stains.

Queasyrider Sat 03-Sep-16 23:26:54

Yes. It's the square edge Silestone that's chipped on mine. Interesting that the rounded edge is apparently more durable.

Nottsmove16 Mon 05-Sep-16 07:55:06

I'm also thinking of a light quartz so interesting to read- any more opinions?

brumeye Mon 05-Sep-16 22:48:35

We chose an off-white quartz worktop (Samsung Radianz). We've had it for a year and are delighted with it - no stains at all, despite all the curry, tomato and red wine we've thrown at it.

A wipe with an e-cloth removes anything, and limescale from our very hard water is almost invisible (unlike dark granite in our last place!).

Saffronesque Mon 05-Sep-16 22:56:50

I suggest that you ask your silestone stockist to get samples of all the colours you might like. They are grouped into different price brackets. I was very keen on a pure white one, which was the most expensive but it stained like mad. In the end, the only one that didn't stain at all was a speckled white, a couple of price brackets cheaper. Hurray - no crumbs show up - every cloud, silver lining etc.

I must have stained a dozen pieces in total, baking on oil spatter, Turmeric, coffee & tea & pasta sauce.

HereIAm20 Tue 06-Sep-16 12:32:17

We have Brazilian Candian white with bevelled edge.

No stains as yet. Recommended to use cif which is a godsend after years of granite which you can't use cleaners on.

Husband was initially keen on pale granite but we were told that the paler the granite there are more issue with cracking as it is not as strong as the dark one.

Pic attached

Nottsmove16 Tue 06-Sep-16 16:19:32

That is a gorgeous kitchen HereIam- what make are the units?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now