So I LOVE the look of a butler sink and wooden work surfaces but I know it's REALLY impractical, any alternative?

(27 Posts)
SleepFreeZone Fri 02-Sep-16 14:05:56

We are having the kitchen redone and we are planning to go with the Burford Shaker option from Howdens. I just love this butler sink and wood work surface photo, it's gorgeous, but I know wood work surfaces are a horror, particularly around butlers sinks. Is there a different option, bamboo maybe? Or even a high end laminate? Otherwise I'm thinking could I use a different material just around the sink 🤔 Problem would be that that material would then have to be joined and there would still be scope for liquid to seep in.

SleepFreeZone Fri 02-Sep-16 14:06:32

Photo ....

bilbodog Fri 02-Sep-16 14:19:33

Ive had 2 kitchens with butlers sinks and iroko work tops and loved them. I have used full stave work tops rather than those made of chunks of wood which is more expensive but better wearing. I use osmo oil to keep them looking good. I do get limescale marks around the taps and on the draining area but it is a working kitchen and i dont expect it to be pristine all the time.

Poocatcherchampion Fri 02-Sep-16 14:24:52

We've got wood style laminate and butler sink.I love it

dollylucy Fri 02-Sep-16 14:28:42

I used to have this sink, loved it

ScrambledSmegs Fri 02-Sep-16 14:29:42

PILs just had an imitation wood worktop put in their new kitchen, it looks and feels fantastic. Think it was from Wickes.

I had a butler sink in my old flat and it stayed looking good despite the hard water and general use. The secret is a good, gentle paste cleaner and microfibre cloths.

SleepFreeZone Fri 02-Sep-16 14:42:43

Dolly that is a possible alternative 🤔

scaryteacher Fri 02-Sep-16 15:36:06

I have a butler sink with teak around it, and oil the wood. Love it.

NotYoda Sat 03-Sep-16 11:42:42

Dolly

I've got that sink

I also love it. Best thing about our new kitchen. We have a stone-effect laminate (Duropal) by the sink, wood on the island

NotYoda Sat 03-Sep-16 11:45:01

OP

Take a look at Duropal website. It's a very good quality laminate, with nice wood-effect options

TheWildRumpyPumpus Sat 03-Sep-16 11:47:38

We have a butler sink and good quality wood worktop - no problems with staining or warping wood. As long as you wipe up spills regularly you won't have a problem.

PolterGoose Sat 03-Sep-16 12:00:38

We've got an undermounted butler sink with oak worktops. Osmo oil is fantastic. We are fairly careful with the worktops but not overly so and they still look good. Our's have been in for 5 years now and I have properly sanded and re-oiled twice. This is about as bad as it gets and is a sign mine needs sanding/oiling, which I quite enjoy doing TBH.

atticusclaw2 Sat 03-Sep-16 12:03:31

I have the ikea dome sink shown above and walnut worktops. We've used morels tung oil and have never had any issues whatsoever with water. our worktops have been in for over 2.5 years now and look as good as the day they are fitted. They've had one extra layer of oil in that time.

atticusclaw2 Sat 03-Sep-16 12:03:40

domjo not dome

MyNewSpecs Sat 03-Sep-16 12:29:13

ScrambledSmegs That sounds really nice. Do you know which of the wicked worktop it is by any chance?
www.wickes.co.uk/Products/Kitchens/Kitchen-Worktops+Upstands/Laminate-Worktops/c/1000940'

thank you!

MyNewSpecs Sat 03-Sep-16 12:30:16

www.wickes.co.uk/Products/Kitchens/Kitchen-Worktops+Upstands/Laminate-Worktops/c/1000940?q=%3AtopSellers%3AFinish%3AWood+Effect&text=# wood effect laminates from Wickes...

ShatterResistant Sat 03-Sep-16 12:32:43

We have wood-style laminate (I realised early on in the selection process that we're not the kind of people who can be relied upon to oil a worktop regularly!) and I'm very pleased with the look and durability of it. Also Howdens. No butler sink though...

SleepFreeZone Sat 03-Sep-16 17:03:32

Atticus can I have some more photos of the sink as a whole and worktop? It looks gorgeous.

exLtEveDallas Sat 03-Sep-16 17:07:59

I have that very kitchen (or a striking similar one)

We haven't had any issues at all with the worktops, around the sink or elsewhere. I treat it with wood oil every six months or so (put a load on to sink in when we go away) and only use wipes to clean it rather than wet cloths.

We've lived here just over 2 years and the previous owner put it in the year before, so it's around 4 years old.

TheWildRumpyPumpus Sat 03-Sep-16 17:09:49

Our kitchen looks very similar to the one you're getting btw - here's a picture.

HarryKerry Sat 03-Sep-16 22:48:52

Georgeous kitchen thewildrumpypumpus. What flooring have you got there?

SleepFreeZone Sat 03-Sep-16 22:51:26

I have just read a zombie thread on here where a lady who's husband is a kitchen fitter recommended using a matt lacquer instead of oil. I'm researching that!

TheWildRumpyPumpus Sun 04-Sep-16 11:16:51

Thanks Harry - It's Karndean distressed Oak I think.

ScrambledSmegs Sun 04-Sep-16 22:11:02

MyNewSpecs - I don't think it's any of those, it's a lighter colour and less obviously blocky than the zebra block one, and is a cooler, more unfinished tone than the oak one.

But apparently I was wrong about Wickes, it was from Benchmarx. I've done a search and pretty sure it's this one.

www.benchmarxkitchens.co.uk/Jackson-Grain-Square-Edged-38mm-Worktop/p/881689

Hope that helps.

Bobcat15 Sun 04-Sep-16 22:31:21

We've got the Howdens kitchen and wood work tops (American Oak from work tops express). We used osmo oil on them, recommended upthread. Fabulous stuff. Have just used it on exposed floorboards in our hallway too. The best thing about the wood work tops is that any marks/stains etc can be easily sanded out and re-oiled so it looks as good as new. Having said that, we've only needed to do that once in the past 3 years. It's really not as high maintenance as people make out.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now