Pre exchange nightmare

(10 Posts)
dontsufferfools Thu 01-Sep-16 21:00:55

Trying to organise exchange of contracts. I have first timers buying mine. They have had a home buyers survey. The survey has picked up on some possible issues. Buyers solicitors now asking me to obtain 3 quotes for 3 seperate possible roof repairs (we have no immediate roof issues like leaks etc).

They want a full asbestos survey as we have an artexed kitchen ceiling and a full electrical cert for the whole house. All at a cost to me. With a possible decrease in sale price if works are needed. I live in a 45 year old house. Its old. I have no repairs issues with it and so am not prepared to pay out a fortune so the new owners can potentially have no repairs issues for the next couple of years.

Its causing me an headache as the house I want is getting fed up with the wait and threatening to pull out.

I've moved a few times before and never had this. I am I being a twat to refuse to pay or to drop my asking price? I can't afford to really as my house buy is dependant on the funds.

Its pissing me off if I'm honest and I want to tell my buyers to fuck off.

Involvethechicken Thu 01-Sep-16 21:12:01

Sorry about your frustration. In regards to dropping your price or paying for things it all depends on whether your house is priced correctly. If it is I would be tempted to say sold as seen its what I said to my FTBs.
First timers can sometimes treat all houses as new builds, they need to understand that taking on a house means taking on responsibility for reasonable repairs that may occur not obsessively mitigating against them at the vendors expense.

HolidaayItWouldBeSoNice Thu 01-Sep-16 21:13:29

Tell them they can arrange an asbestos survey at their own cost as long as no damage is done to your property. Ditto having roofers to give quotes. In my opinion that would be more than accommodating enough. Then if they find anything urgently needs doing they can try and renegotiate the price with you but you're still at liberty to tell them to do one if you want. IMO FTB are often a pain in the arse.

dontsufferfools Thu 01-Sep-16 21:20:04

Thanks for replies. I think based on other houses in thr area our house was reasonably priced.

They offered full asking price as soon as it went on the market with no negotiation.

I know that further surveys could possibly pick up works needed. My roof is 45 years old!! But unless my house is falling down I'm also of the assumption sold as seen.

ariana1 Thu 01-Sep-16 21:20:11

Every Homebuyer's survey comes up with a list of further reports etc. and are couched in such terms to cover the surveyor from liability. I sold in May and was asked to commission extra surveys and then to go halves on any extra works - to be completed before exchange. I said no and the sale went ahead as the survey said it was worth the money - ask them to share the valuation with you!

bilbodog Thu 01-Sep-16 22:03:11

It will be the surveyor suggesting that all these things are looked into more closely - doesnt mean there is anything wrong. Unfortunately ftbs are more nervous and will think this means expensive work. A roof should be good for way more than 45 years!! Surveyors are just covering their arses.

Ive always taken the attitude when buying that if i want to know more about possible problems then i would get appropriate advice. It is easy to get artex tested for asbestos and doesnt cost much - likely to be a small amount which can be skimmed over. A local roofing company should be happy to look at the roof for no charge.

Unfortunately it has become common these days for people to want an electrical certificate. I might be inclined to get an electrician in to look as it may be a new up to date fuse box is required and you could agree to get that done as if you re market this will come up again. If the whole house needs rewiring i think they should be prepared to do this and an electrician should ge able to check and provide a quote for no charge upfront.

Get your estate agent to speak to the buyers and go through the survsy with them - they may be able to allay some of their fears by 'translating' the survey into plain english for them.

specialsubject Thu 01-Sep-16 22:04:52

Their survey, their cost. Ditto quotes.

dontsufferfools Thu 01-Sep-16 22:10:06

Thanks everyone. I feel slightly better because I thought I may be cutting off my nose to spite my face!

Will fight the good fight and hope like ariana1 it will all come good.

TheBestNamesAreTaken Thu 01-Sep-16 22:26:23

Might not be the FTBers themselves being so over cautious. A few years ago my mortgage lender insisted I do this on a property I was buying, then asked me to prove I had the funds (additionally to deposit) to repair these issues if required. Lenders are going to greater lengths these days to limit their risk.

dontsufferfools Fri 02-Sep-16 07:35:42

Interesting point TheBest I hadn't thought about that! Puts a slightly different spin on it.

I think thats fair enough from the lender.
But the point "their survey, their costs. Ditto quotes" is the way forward.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now