What would you do?.....

(9 Posts)
Sarb81 Thu 01-Sep-16 07:01:54

So we have just brought our forever home (whatever that means!!) and really had to stretch ourselves in the short term to do so. It was a repossession and so as you might expect the previous owner took EVERYTHING. We would need to do the bathroom, all carpets, complete rewire, oven and flooring before moving in as a minimum...we have two small children so 'slumming' it isnt really an option.

So the predicament is this....do we continue to stay at my inlaws (!) for the next 6-9 months so we are in a position to put money aside and get things done slowly or take the hit and get a loan for the works with the intention of ploughing monthly disposable paying off loan.

Finding it difficult staying here tbh as my methods of parenting are not in sync with inlaws and so we clash a little! Kids are completely out of routine 😐

Please advise good people of mumsnet!

SingingTunelessly Thu 01-Sep-16 07:20:15

9 months staying with your inlaws? shock. Nope, couldn't do that tbh. Why did you not go into rented in the first place knowing how long it would take? To answer your question tho, yes I'd beg, steal or borrow to get the works done ASAP/urgently/yesterday. If rented is not a possibility, then maybe prioritise the works so that you have a working bathroom, kitchen and bedroom. At least you can move in. Yes, it will be stressful living in part of the house whilst the rest gets finished but no more stressful than living with your inlaws I imagine.

DustOffYourHighestHopes Thu 01-Sep-16 07:42:43

I'd end up in prison, honestly.

YelloDraw Thu 01-Sep-16 10:28:36

Yeah I'd get a loan and get it done ASAP

MirabelleTree Thu 01-Sep-16 10:31:10

I vote for a loan as well - small price to pay for your sanity.

JT05 Thu 01-Sep-16 11:21:07

Do what are the absolute necessary basics and move in. Years ago we lived in a 'builders yard' with a 2 yr old and new born. We had heat, light, a basic bathroom and cooking facilities. No one came to harm and I didn't murder MIL!

rallytog1 Thu 01-Sep-16 11:42:17

Yes, get a loan!

Notyetthere Thu 01-Sep-16 12:53:26

Yes. What JT05 said! Bare minimum work required and move in.

Make sure you are warm, running water, weatherproof the house and somewhere to cook; then move in and do the rest of the work as and when you have the funds. In your OP you mention having pushed yourselves to the limit to get this house so getting a loan might not be a good idea.

3kidsandus Thu 01-Sep-16 13:42:03

Agree with the above! Compromise and stay for shorter period with them while the bare minimum is done! Good luck!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now