Neighbour putting balcony on first floor

(20 Posts)
ginorwine Tue 30-Aug-16 15:22:52

We live in tall town houses
Neighbour just told me she is going to take window out of first floor - insert French door and build a small balcony
I'm really concerned this may affect saleability of our home as it will mean we will be overlooked
She seems to think that as it is
Small
Made of wood
It doesn't need planning permission
A neighbour several doors away has one and she told her she didn't need permission as it was made of wood and not a permanent structure .
Does anyone know about this ? My neighbour has not asked if ok but this is what i am going to do.
I don't want to fall out !
I rang the council who said she did need it but the person I spoke to didn't sound sure
Does anyone know of any guidelines I can check ? Are they different between councils ? Thanks

wowfudge Tue 30-Aug-16 15:31:33

We lived in a semi where next door had done this. The balcony was screened at the side where it was close to the dividing party wall. It made no difference to us buying or, several years later, selling. I did wonder about planning though!

LIZS Tue 30-Aug-16 15:35:04

I think it would need pp and buildings regulations, especially as it may overlook.

bloodyteenagers Tue 30-Aug-16 15:38:45

I don't understand what the issue is with being over looked.
The area already has a window that can be looked out of. They could even make a window seat for the area. Instead they are putting in a small balcony.

ginorwine Tue 30-Aug-16 15:46:50

Overlooked and noise
I kno what you mean re window seat but that is overlooked but without noise
Several people above head - it will have 4 seats o think - will carry noise across the gardens and also when we are watching in our room we Wd have to keep window shot for privacy as we Wd be very near to them and I don't want to over hear them or vica versa
So it's the combination of increased noise and being overlooked .

ginorwine Tue 30-Aug-16 15:47:37

Watching tv or sitting in our house

fiftyval Tue 30-Aug-16 15:47:56

Google 'planning portal' and check on there. Definitely sounds like it would need building regs.

Hoppinggreen Tue 30-Aug-16 15:48:11

Ask your local planning dept if pp Is needed or not

ginorwine Tue 30-Aug-16 15:57:16

Fifty
The portal looked good thanks but didn't cover balconies

SleepFreeZone Tue 30-Aug-16 15:59:18

Is it a balcony she will be able to sit or stand on? I'd be amazed if that didn't need planning as there were those cases of balconys collapsing and I thought they tightened up the regulations.

ginorwine Tue 30-Aug-16 16:03:24

Yes
For about 4 people - four chairs

Thamcat Tue 30-Aug-16 16:03:58

Hi. It needs planning permission as far as I'm aware being a planning officer. Where I work its classed as a means of enclosure more than 2m above ground level which needs permission smile

ginorwine Tue 30-Aug-16 16:06:18

It's like decking but in the air with a rail round

ginorwine Tue 30-Aug-16 16:07:01

Thanks thamcat

ginorwine Tue 30-Aug-16 16:08:06

The decking will be on four legs and bolted to wall and ground

Thamcat Tue 30-Aug-16 16:19:49

Then it's a 'means of enclosure' more than 2m above ground level which needs planning permission. A Juliet balcony doesn't normally need planning permission which is just a rail across an opening with no outside accesss. Hope that helps

Thamcat Tue 30-Aug-16 16:34:07

See page 44 (h) www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/516238/160413_Householder_Technical_Guidance.pdf

CharminglyGawky Tue 30-Aug-16 16:36:59

Apparently any decking over 1ft off of the ground now needs planning permission hmm My parents are selling their home and have some old decking which is over 1ft high and the solicitors actually asked about planning!

If a small deck needs planning surely a large balcony would!

dotdotdotmustdash Tue 30-Aug-16 19:28:54

I'm in Scotland, but a few years ago my neighbour (detached houses) put in a planning application for a balcony from a back bedroom. We didn't object, but the other side of them did. The Planning Officer visited and quietly suggested that they should withdraw their application, which they did.

ginorwine Wed 31-Aug-16 07:49:01

Thanks all
Really helpful
Now to mention it gulp

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now