Anyone live near a wind turbine?

(20 Posts)
MintyChops Mon 29-Aug-16 00:22:46

We are looking at a house in the country (in Ireland), isolated, lovely views, love it but there are a couple of wind turbines about half a mile away. The house is on the side of a hill and the turbines are across the valley on the far side of the next hill but sticking up over the top. I'm worried that the turbines will wreck my head and our health but I don't know how to research this properly. They gave not been turning or on or whatever the correct term is whenever we gave been there.

Does anyone live near a turbine? Should we pass on the house or am I worrying over nothing? Any advice gratefully received....

AnnieOnnieMouse Mon 29-Aug-16 01:11:14

I'd say you were worrying over nothing at that distance. I love wind turbines - so graceful. Far better than the nuclear power stations we've always lived near.

ThereIsIron Mon 29-Aug-16 01:24:06

You are totally worrying unnecessarily, but you also seem to have an issue with turbines, so probably best to pass on the house as you'll constantly have it in the back of your mind, and it will spoil your enjoyment.

MiaowTheCat Mon 29-Aug-16 08:28:54

I'm glad to find someone else who loves the look of them - always thought I was a bit bonkers with it!

My mum's office was next to some - and because of smoking regulations the smokers had to leave the site and basically sit at the bottom of one for a fag break - really really close up you'd get a slight swooshy-thunk noise but from the actual office at the other end of the carpark nothing at all.

So unless you're planning on setting up smokers corner at the base of one - think you'll be ok.

Walkingwounded Mon 29-Aug-16 09:17:08

Our house is about 500m from one. There is no noise at all. You can hear a slight whirring if you walk right up close to it, but that's all.

Danglyweed Mon 29-Aug-16 09:32:06

I worked as an architectural modelmaker. My fave model we made was a windfarm, the field trip was amazing.

Worrying over nothing id say

specialsubject Mon 29-Aug-16 09:35:46

There is no actual health risk as you arent a bird. The noise and flicker may not be good. Also remember they need to be turned when there isnt enough wind (most of the winter) so it will be constant. And when they reach end of life , they wont be removed and will be left to rust and rot. Nice.

I would prefer a nuclear power station because it is carbon neutral and generates electricity.

lljkk Mon 29-Aug-16 09:43:57

When it's windy enough to turn the turbine then what you hear is the wind, not the turbine. No wind -> no turning so no noise.

Really you've learnt this is a windy spot, so are you find about lots of wind where you live?

PigletJohn Mon 29-Aug-16 09:50:39

It might be useful to get a map and measure the actual distance. Unless you already have.

NotDavidTennant Mon 29-Aug-16 09:53:31

What are the health risks you're worried about? Is it the effect of noise, or something else?

MintyChops Mon 29-Aug-16 13:23:03

Thank you all so much for the responses. I actually don't mind how they look, think they look cool but my concern is about noise. I am very noise-sensitive and can't really imagine how something so big can be quiet! I also read that they can have an effect on your health as they make a noise that is at such a low frequency you cannot hear it but it somehow they cause all sorts of health issues along the sleep disturbance, depression, headaches, vertigo lines. Perhaps that is just bullshit? I hope so, I love the house and the view is gorgeous.....

MintyChops Mon 29-Aug-16 13:25:31

Also, I don't mind wind so that's not an issue. Our architect is going to have a look ver the place on Thursday so I will ask him to check the distanc etc.

ElsieMc Mon 29-Aug-16 14:02:28

Around three houses fairly nearby are for sale by wind turbines. Strangely although they are absolutely lovely houses, they have not sold. Think five bed beautifully done up detached farm house for £450,000 and similar five bed cottage with a lot of land at a similar price. Might just be bad luck I suppose, but lots of decent houses selling far enough away for the same and more. What I am saying is you may have to consider potential resale and make sure you pay a reasonable price.

If it is worrying you at all though, no matter how nice the house, move on.

lljkk Mon 29-Aug-16 16:15:40

I think that the low-frequency harmful noise allegation is BS, or you'd have to be an elephant/whale to be affected by the noise at that frequency.

MalcolmTuckersEyebrows Mon 29-Aug-16 16:19:46

We've holidayed in Normandy near some absolutely mahoosive wind turbines and heard nothing at all, not even a faint woosh on a windy day.

Hockneypool Mon 29-Aug-16 16:30:22

We live about 2km from wind turbines and very rarely hear them. What I foolishly didn't think about was that turbines would mean loads of wind and storms. That's the noisy bit wondering if the roof is going to blow off or just a few tiles!

specialsubject Mon 29-Aug-16 16:35:15

The turbines are not, as you might think ,always put somewhere windy - they are useless in too much wind anyway. They are put where subsidy allows.

As you can tell i hate greenwash and dead-end technology.

Thingvellir Mon 29-Aug-16 16:54:02

I'm another one who loves them - I think they are absolutely majestic and would love to have one in view like you described across the valley. I would worry though about other potential buyers of my house if I wanted to sell it later being put off. It's a tricky one....

PigletJohn Mon 29-Aug-16 17:02:27

If you watch them carefully, you will see that they are giant electric fans for generating wind. When they're turned off, it's quite calm. If they're running slowly, there is not much wind. But when they're turned up to full speed, they create a tremendous airflow.

MsAdorabelleDearheartVonLipwig Mon 29-Aug-16 17:34:27

There's five across the fields from my inlaws house. There is definitely a slight noise when they are running, like a hum-hum, about the noise level of an aeroplane passing high up. A village up the road from us lobbied the council because several people in the village were getting constant flicker from them. Bit daft to build them within reach of houses though.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now