Gas concerns or am i just freaking out over nothing

(6 Posts)
als30 Sun 28-Aug-16 11:10:49

Moved to a new flat 2nd floor a few week ago new builds only 3-4 years old. After a week i began to smell something from a cupboard next to the gas meter so i phoned the emergency gas number turned out i was right was only a small one gas was capped and contacted my housing association who came out and fixed the problem.
Since then im constantly checking but have noticed the cupboard under the boiler and where the boiler is smelled funny so cause it was playing on my mind i phoned them again guy came checked everything from the gas meter the cooker and the boiler but nothing so that put my mind at rest but this morning when i checked everything was fine apart from the cupboards where the boiler is etc smelt different like burning etc but i dont use my heating much could it be coming from the flat below as the layout is the same as mine and is it normal to be this para

specialsubject Sun 28-Aug-16 12:21:25

Do you have a current gas safe certificate? Private landlords must provide this but housinf associations seem to get away with lots - but i would hope the law applies to them too.

als30 Sun 28-Aug-16 12:25:22

Im not sure on that how do i check that i know a gas safety check was done before i moved in and everything was fine the smalk leak i found was down to the guys who fitted my cooker they moved a pipe which when moved lessened something further along which was why i was smelling gas in a cupboard just after all that it has made me wary and cautious

specialsubject Sun 28-Aug-16 12:28:03

Fair enough! Contact the housing association on tuesday - you should have a copy of that cert.

But you've identified what went wrong. Were the cooker fitters gas safe registered? That is quite a cockup that they made.

Watto1 Sun 28-Aug-16 12:29:02

After a gas leak from my gas hob, I was also paranoid that I could smell gas all the time. I bought a gas detector for about £10 which put my mind at rest.

als30 Sun 28-Aug-16 12:42:01

Yeah they were gas safety certified they even done a check and nothing was by luck i phoned about the first one as i used that particular cupboard for crisps if i didnt use it who knows how long that would of been there
Watto i know im constantly checking just this odd smell from boiler cupboard but the guy said nothing was detected and that was him using 3 devices think i might get one of those and ill check with housing too about a certificate

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now