What shall I do next in my house?

(6 Posts)
Cariadity Fri 26-Aug-16 14:41:47

Have recently bought a nice semi detached house built in 1910. It's looked beautiful full of all the previous owners things and we thought it would be a simple move furniture in and live. However once empty every botched job looks more and more obvious and there are lots of them. Skirting boards aren't attached in any room. Tiles in bathrooms are awful ...
After moving we redid the living room and our bedroom, we have now run out of money so making do with the rest of the house.
I want to start saving up for the next job but not sure what to do or how much to budget for anything.

Options 1. Tile small family bathroom (only around bath and floor) tile small ensuite bathroom. Repaint both and possibly get new bath.
2. Change all doors and architrave (6 of them) new skirting boarding in upstairs hallway and 2 bedrooms. Paint and recarpet all 3 areas.
3. Garden replace concrete area with patio, make borders wider and 2nd small patio.
4. Convert outbuilding to utility room. Needs floor tiled ceiling plastered and all walls painted. Patio doors and exterior door replaced. Worktops and cabinets fitted.

I'd like to have a new kitchen and a porch built but I think that's a job for a lot lot later!

Any thought on which to get done first?

MrsBartlettforthewin Fri 26-Aug-16 14:46:56

For me it'd be the bathrooms. Hate it when I've cleaned a bathroom but it still looks a bit grot due to neediing up dating. Had this in our last house and it drove me made until we finally saved enough to get it done.

YelloDraw Fri 26-Aug-16 16:29:11

I'd do bathrooms first. Reckon it's easier to live with manky skirting than bad bathroom.

Then utility as that would improve my day to day life.

Then garden. Then doors etc.

JT05 Fri 26-Aug-16 16:55:13

I'm in agrement about the bathrooms and garden. Garden work is better done in the Autumn winter then you can enjoy the garden in the summer.
Replacing doors and architrave is time consuming and costly. We replaced 12 in our last house. There was a lot of work in getting them to fit and the making good. You'll need the nice garden to sit in and recover.

yomellamoHelly Fri 26-Aug-16 17:18:09

Before kids would be bathroom. Post kids utility room.

Cariadity Sat 27-Aug-16 13:22:19

Thanks for all your advice! I'm definitely going to go for bathrooms next then and work on a temporary fix for skirtings and doors for now.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now