Landlord issues

(7 Posts)
Imytiger Fri 26-Aug-16 09:41:49

Hello Mums I need your advice and opinion please. My daughter and her friends who are all at Uni agreed to rent a flat with the condition that the Landlord provided additional pieces of furniture such as desks and chairs. Everything was agreed and the tenancy started. However the Landlord has 'honoured' his side of the agreement by putting in the trashiest furniture you have ever seen; it is fit for a dump, dirty, broken and impractical e.g. old damaged computer workstations when desks were agreed, a plastic stool for a bedside table. To top it all he is now refusing to take it away! Please help. Thanks

scaryteacher Fri 26-Aug-16 10:15:14

My lad rents at university, and the furniture in his place isn't the best either; however, it is adequate if not new and is usable.

The tenants need to deal with this, via the letting agent if one was used, and take photos of the condition of what they have been given. If they cleaned it up would it be OK? If it's usable, then they may have to live with it. Student houses can get trashed. so i can see why the l/l hasn't ponied up brand new stuff.

YelloDraw Fri 26-Aug-16 12:07:33

Ugh what a twat. It isn't exactly expensive to kit out with cheap ikea desk and chairs - and student rentals should come with that anyway!

Are they dealing with the LL or a letting agent?

Muddle2000 Fri 26-Aug-16 14:49:02

Was it originally let furnished or unfurnished?

Imytiger Fri 26-Aug-16 15:28:16

So it was let furnished but at the time had just two beds and a small sofa, FF, washing machine. They asked for the other items and said if he could provide them and extra bed they would take it; he agreed and its on the terms of agreement and that's what was provided; a plastic stool and two old dirty damaged workstations that they cannot even sit at. Found out now it does not meet HMO standards as one of the rooms is too small so can't wait to point that out.

Imytiger Fri 26-Aug-16 15:28:54

Rented through agent; managed by LL

specialsubject Fri 26-Aug-16 17:47:36

If it is an illegal hmo get straight on the case.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now