when do I sign a tenancy agreement

(4 Posts)
buonamica Wed 24-Aug-16 14:41:27

Do you normally sign the tenancy agreement on the day you move in?

it's my first time to rent a property on my own, so just a bit nervous...hope someone with more experience can enlighten me :-)

I have paid agency with application fees and due to move in 10 days from today, but still haven't had signed a tenancy agreement yet. Isn't it all a bit risky from a tenant's point of view if you end up NOT being able to move in at all in case Landlord changes their mind or something turns up. Suddenly occurs to me it could leave one homeless. My agency just told me I had to wait until they hear back from Landlord.

LottieL Wed 24-Aug-16 14:42:45

You tend to sign everything when you get the keys and pay up the deposit and one months rent 🙂
Good luck with the move!

wowfudge Wed 24-Aug-16 15:04:46

I would ask for a copy of the tenancy agreement (unsigned) in order to have a read through and you can then raise any queries in advance of signing.

specialsubject Wed 24-Aug-16 15:48:42

exactly.

there's a useful government guide for tenants, which the landlord has to give you on the day you move in (legislation cockup means it can't be handed over early). But you can read it online in advance:

www.gov.uk/government/publications/how-to-rent

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now