How thick for laminate?

(7 Posts)
rubybleu Mon 22-Aug-16 22:02:34

Husband and I chose laminate this afternoon for our upper ground floor lounge room and kitchen diner - Egger Prestige 7mm in Oxford Oak, chosen for the feel & colour.

I mentioned it to our fitter who sucked his teeth and said he'd be looking for at least 10mm. We will get decent fibre underlay with 20db noise blocking.

FWIW we aren't going with engineered wood as we don't have the budget for the really good stuff, and I don't like the cheaper £30-ish psf ranges.

We're only planning to be here for another 2 or so years. This is our first flat, and we currently have totally knackered laminate with no underlay at all so I'm wondering if we are selling ourselves short because we're so used to living in share houses and badly decorated accommodation?

Should we go back and look for thicker laminate? Any experience/advice gratefully received.

wowfudge Mon 22-Aug-16 22:13:35

Are you permitted to have laminate in the lease terms? Do you have neighbours on a floor below your flat?

rubybleu Mon 22-Aug-16 22:26:50

We are the basement & ground so we are permitted.

Cookingongas Mon 22-Aug-16 22:39:14

My husband is a carpenter and wouldn't lay under 10mm in our house.

He puts absolutely every effort into convincing customers of 8mm or more. He HATES the 7mm and under. It doesn't last, doesn't lay as well, and, like carpet, can't be saved by underlay.

Cookingongas Mon 22-Aug-16 22:44:10

Though for 2/3 years, as long as it's laid half decently it'll last fine. Get good beading.

As far as brands go effect isn't great ( but again will last for the timeframe you want)
He rates krono as a laminate. And sensa solido.

rubybleu Tue 23-Aug-16 06:49:12

Thanks Cookie much appreciated advice. I'll look into Krono.

rubybleu Tue 23-Aug-16 06:49:34

Cookingongas sorry!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now