front door problems..

(5 Posts)
Koala2 Sun 21-Aug-16 20:33:01

I recently had installed a wood veneer oak front door. I now know this not to have been the best idea ever, as the veneer has cracked in a couple of places and we can't get it repaired. However the cracking is not yet so bad that we need to replace the door. The door was originally stained with Osmo Oil, and now needs to be re-stained. What is the best product to use? Should I use Osmo oil again? Or would a Sikken stain be better to preserve the wood? Something else??

PigletJohn Sun 21-Aug-16 21:08:51

veneered doors usually come with fitting instructions that say you should not use oil or wax.

there may be more info somewhere on www.premdor.co.uk/ advice page

Koala2 Sun 21-Aug-16 22:21:59

Thanks piglet. So would it be ok to now use a different (more appropriate) product on top of the Osmo oil, if I sand it down lightly first? Or could that result in a weird colour combination?

PigletJohn Mon 22-Aug-16 10:27:27

I don't know. The oil has probably soaked in and hardened by now. Ask the door manufacturer, and the oil manufacturer, and the (new coating) manufacturer.

I was under the impression that the oil was bad for the glue holding the veneer to the door, but I might be wrong.

Koala2 Mon 22-Aug-16 10:57:21

Yes it could be the oil which has caused the original problems. I don't want to make them worse!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now