New vs old

(7 Posts)
ootsideinbacktaefront Sat 20-Aug-16 12:34:33

My heart says old, my head says new. What do you think?

wowfudge Sat 20-Aug-16 14:59:27

For what exactly?

concertplayer Sat 20-Aug-16 14:59:29

We have both. The new one-a semi- has thin walls on one side and the noise eg child arguing with parents is a pain . The old one is much better
insulated noise wise.
Energy wise the new should be better BUT an old one can usually be MADE better .
New builds often come with guarantees but guarantees can often be obtained when work is done on older places eg the roof. You do need to
budget carefully with older ones and have a full survey.
Style- older have more character and ornate features fab shaped rooms
(love mine).They can also come with eg ill-fitting doors and draughts
and damp - all usually remedied however.
New builds may be located on estates, where they all look the same so
older ones tend to be more individual.
The deal breaker for me: new must be detached older can be terraced.
It depends so much on your stage of life and situation. If you have a young family noise is likely to be 2 way if the neighbours are the same
but once the noisy teenagers have gone you just want peace!
Community is important Friends of mine lived in a tiny older terraced where the neighbours in the whole street all pulled together.
They then moved to a 1950s semi as they had 2 kids. The neighbours mainly act like they do not exist and they really miss their tiny old house!!

LizzieMacQueen Sat 20-Aug-16 15:00:50

IME old = dustier

ootsideinbacktaefront Sat 20-Aug-16 15:44:56

We are in a relatively new house at moment but I have always wanted the character of an old house, however I am lazy regarding housework and I hate being cold thus I think maybe I should stick with new smile

JT05 Sat 20-Aug-16 18:59:15

I'd plump for old every time. The newest house we've had was 1968, but was built with solid walls and higher ceilings. The oldest 1860 with lath, hair and plaster walls.
All the pros and cons are as above, but character is undefinable!

We've just bought old and paid mega bucks over the same new size. It's all down to character.

wowfudge Sat 20-Aug-16 20:33:04

Old - our house is unique and I love it! I've pretty much always lived in older properties and I like original features and the character. The downsides are often to do with the odd ways various things have been done over the years. For example, why are there so may telephone sockets around the place, including in the downstairs loo? None of them work.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now