Stairs carpet style...

(8 Posts)
Draylon Fri 19-Aug-16 09:16:22

My stairs carpet looks pretty much like this, only beige, not stripey.

It's a 20 year old 4 bedroom 'estate' house; and we are getting the whole upstairs/stairs recarpeted.

We have already bought the carpet but I want to know if the carpet layer can do this instead?

OR do you have to buy special 'runners' in order to achieve that look? Can you get the edge of carpet 'whipped'? i.e. edged? Is it expensive to do?

I know I'll need to tidy up the tops of the treads where they show, too!

WDYT?

situatedknowledge Fri 19-Aug-16 09:19:41

It's fairly easy to get the carpet edges whipped, but if it is a fairly new house are you sure the stairs themselves are up to being exposed? I'd have a look at the wood first. Ours are plywood I think, and definitely not up to being exposed. We fitted a new stair case in our last house, and had it made of tulip wood, specifically so it could be exposed with a runner.

hooliodancer Fri 19-Aug-16 09:21:05

You can get it whipped yes, but I think you would have to send it back to be re cut and edged.

I have stair carpet like that. There are no special runners, just underlay.

midcenturymodern Fri 19-Aug-16 09:26:18

We had ours done like that. The carpet fitter came out to cut the widths, then it went to 'the whipping woman', then he came back and laid it. I can't remember how much the whipping was but it wasn't much. Our stairs aren't proper wood. I've forgotten what they are made of as it was a few years ago, but whatever it was I just painted the edges and it looks fine.

Draylon Fri 19-Aug-16 09:28:39

Thanks! DH has cut an inch off the edge of the old carpet so I can paint the whitework, exposing the underlay (which we're having replaced on the stairs), so I haven't seen the wood but we both like the effect!

Draylon Sat 20-Aug-16 18:39:53

OK, we're going for it.

Stripped all the carpet, underlay and gripper bars off the stairs today- and judging by the fact the treads and risers have been painted, I'm thinking someone once maybe had no carpet at all on the stairs?

Have filled the gaps and nail holes, will sand tomorrow, and we plan on painting the risers dark gloss grey, and the tops the same colour as the rest of the wood work (white-ish). About 3" each side of where the carpet runner will go (it's dove grey), plus we'll have brushed chrome stair rods.

I will download a photo in a bit.

Draylon Sat 20-Aug-16 18:52:14

Here it is!

situatedknowledge Sat 20-Aug-16 19:37:31

Fabulous!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now