Does anyone have secondary glazing?

(15 Posts)
phoria Wed 17-Aug-16 11:12:16

How effective is it at cutting down noise? About to move into a flat on a fairly busy road. Will I still be able to hear people talking outside once it's installed?

wowfudge Wed 17-Aug-16 12:17:13

We have two rooms with secondary glazing both on the road side of our house which is set back and up from the road. It makes a significant difference. Can't comment on voices outside because we just don't get them.

phoria Wed 17-Aug-16 12:35:00

That's good to hear wowfudge. Can you still hear the cars go past or is it mainly really loud traffic like motorbikes and trucks?

Millionprammiles Wed 17-Aug-16 13:57:02

We have SG on one front bedroom window - it pretty much cuts out normal traffic noise. Loud motorbikes and low flying planes can still be heard. Can hardly hear voices though loud shouting would still be heard.
The endless banging of the Tesco delivery man is still audible (use Ocado ffs grin

totallyrandom Thu 18-Aug-16 09:58:07

We have secondary glazing on the front of our house due to relatively busy road. I thought of getting rid of it when we got new double timber glazing (previously single glazed old timber windows). However, once I heard how noisy the new double glazing was on its own, I kept the secondary glazing i.e. had it put back after new windows were fitted. So we now have double glazing with acoustic glass, followed by secondary glazing with acoustic glass and shutters on inside in most rooms. Can barely hear any road noise. If you open the secondary glazing and just have the double glazing the difference is very noticeable. The manufacturer of our secondary glazing is called Granada - it has a hardwood outer frame and doesn't look bad. I do think the 6mm laminated glass makes a difference. Apparently the bigger the gap left between the main window and the secondary glazing, the better the sound insulation.

phoria Thu 18-Aug-16 10:14:32

totallyrandom - hadn't thought about shutters on the inside. Is that for noise reduction as well? Glad to hear it works. The flat is single glazed and at the moment you can hear people speaking outside - that's how crap the noise insulation is. I'm praying secondary glazing will work as it'll be really annoying otherwise!

Does anyone have any recommendations for SG installers in London? Currently looking at City Sound and Granville Noise. Anyone with any experience of either?

TronaldDump Thu 18-Aug-16 10:22:20

We have secondary glazing too. I believe the previous owners used Everest. Makes a huge difference in terms of sound and heat - the house would be a much less pleasant place to be without it!

MyKingdomForBrie Thu 18-Aug-16 10:24:28

I had single glazing in my last house, hours of entertainment when couples stopped for a row outside my window!

I would say if noise reduction is important to you don't buy cheap, and ask them to demo the noise reduction if possible.

phoria Thu 18-Aug-16 10:36:36

MyKingdomForBrie - Yes, no expense will be spared. Going to go for draught proofing too. I don't mind spending extra - just as long as it works!

Did you not get SG then?

TronaldDump - that's good to hear!

totallyrandom Thu 18-Aug-16 16:28:32

Sorry can't remember the name of the installers we used. In my old flat (grade 2 listed) we were only allowed secondary glazing. Getting it there made me realise how effective it is for both sound and heat insulation. The installer at the time told us we wouldn't need to draught proof original glazed windows as well. Some had been done already but the difference with secondary glazing to the ones that hadn't was minimal. But you might get less dirt through if outer window is draught proofed. I would definitely recommend the thicker acoustic glass- also virtually impossible to break so good security. I don't think the shutters will reduce noise much, but hide the secondary glazing if you don't like the look. I can also lock my secondary glazing re security.

legotits Thu 18-Aug-16 16:30:39

My DF has had secondary last year, it's really effective for noise.

Can give a south Yorkshire recce if needed.

phoria Thu 18-Aug-16 20:56:58

I'm in London but thanks legotits.

totallyrandom - you can lock your SG? didn't realise you could do that!

jellycat1 Thu 18-Aug-16 21:10:45

Yes we have and used Chelsea Secondary Glazing. It's very good but not completely effective. Does the job on street noise though.

Briette Thu 18-Aug-16 23:02:00

Not sure which part of London you're in but if you're in the west it's well worth checking to see whether you qualify for completely free SG, it only takes a moment: www.heathrow.com/noise/what-you-can-do/apply-for-help/noise-insulation-schemes

I do find it helps but we're currently pulling all of ours out to replace it with noise insulating double glazing (also through the Heathrow scheme) to claim the space from our window sills back grin

phoria Fri 19-Aug-16 12:28:41

I'm east but thanks Briette. Is your SG powerful enough to block out plane noises then?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now