Thoughts on this house

(43 Posts)
Roygrace Mon 15-Aug-16 17:13:36

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/fullscreen/image-gallery.html?propertyId=37591979&photoIndex=0

I can't decide. I love location and price. But hate the way it looks at the minute and wouldn't even know where to start doing it all up to the minimalistic look I love

Thoughts oh wise ones?

Dizzydodo Mon 15-Aug-16 17:31:17

It says no longer on the market when I copied and pasted your link, so I think you're too late anyway!

Roygrace Mon 15-Aug-16 17:33:35

We have bought but I'm still not sure! Panicking now

SoupDragon Mon 15-Aug-16 17:36:17

Once it has all the previous owners stuff removed it will look very different.

Although I like how it looks, pretty much.

Nogravyforyou Mon 15-Aug-16 17:39:41

I like it, but can see how you feel it will take some work to get it to the look you like.

Roygrace Mon 15-Aug-16 17:41:23

It's just so overwhelming and where do I blooming start.

YouSay Mon 15-Aug-16 17:42:25

Can you do a clicky link? I can't see it on my phone

dylexicdementor11 Mon 15-Aug-16 17:45:02

It's lovely albeit filled with ugly furniture and clutter! Please don't rip out the period features.

YouSay Mon 15-Aug-16 17:45:52

I can see it now. I think it is very nice. It needs a paint. Look at ikea for room ideas.

justpeachy74 Mon 15-Aug-16 17:49:16

It looks lovely pretty much as it is. We're in a similar position at the moment. We moved in a few months ago and although it's liveable most of it isn't really our style.

Having lived here for those few months I'm slowly getting glimpses of how I would like it to be. We have to be patient anyway at the moment because we don't have much spare cash to make changes.

I think it's useful to see it as a long term project if you plan to be there a while. Not rush into things and get a feel for the place.

dragonsarebest Mon 15-Aug-16 17:49:24

where do I blooming start
One room at a time. The house itself looks really lovely - once all of their stuff/clutter is out it'll be wonderful.

Blu Mon 15-Aug-16 17:51:27

I can see it - just the image gallery.

It's a lovely house, great outdoor space, rooms look good.

I think it would be easy to transform. Kitchen: put plain doors on all the cupboard, remove the eye level cupboards and replace with a steel shelf or steel hanging racks. Put down plain floor- at whatever budget you have.

Bedrooms - apart from the one with some kind of hideous fitted shelf thing, all it needs is removal of fussy curtains and rails, painting neutral etc.

Reception rooms - it would be terrible to remove the wood burner - just remove fussy paraphanalia and paint cool neutral. Less fussy doors would be good - plain wooden doors painted neutral. Remove that cupboard with the giraffe on it, furnish with much lighter table and chairs with cleaner lines.

In the other reception I think it would be a shame to remove the fireplace and mirror above, if they are original, but if you wanted them gone you could sell them. The room feels overstuffed because of all those bulbous chairs. Cool neutral paint, lighter framed seating (not at an angle) wooden shutters or some curtain covering that isn't all flounced up!

The bathroom - well that is heavy duty tiling , could you afford to have it redone on white?

My eye is caught by that contraption above the bathroom shelves - the pipes look ancient and whatever that thing is looks non-up-to-date.

Why is the kitchen ceiling sloping? I can't see a sloping roof on the outside?

Very superficial changes to the décor could have it looking much less cluttered and 'cosy'.

Roygrace Mon 15-Aug-16 17:56:48

Blu thank you!

kernowgal Mon 15-Aug-16 18:00:21

I think that's lovely! Has a very nice feeling about it (well, that you can discern from pictures anyway).

SwedishEdith Mon 15-Aug-16 18:01:09

I like how it looks! Love that quarry tile floor in kitchen and dining room.

SoupDragon Mon 15-Aug-16 18:03:37

Don't change the doors if they are original.

SoupDragon Mon 15-Aug-16 18:04:33

It's perfectly possible to do minimalist and keep original features.

SwedishEdith Mon 15-Aug-16 18:07:11

I'd talk for years about how I'd change the bathroom and get rid of the dark wardrobes in the bedroom. But there's no major changes, I don't think.

LewisAndClark Mon 15-Aug-16 18:07:16

I love it. But it's an odd choice of you're going for a minimalist look.

I'd also like to know about the kitchen ceiling.

Are they taking the god awful wardrobes from the bedroom? I think with all their furniture gone and a lick of paint it will be easy ish to bring up to date. Please try and work with the period at least a bit though.

The kitchen isn't to my taste but the house would look odd with a swanky modern kitchen.

apatheticfallacy Mon 15-Aug-16 18:13:26

clicky link

apatheticfallacy Mon 15-Aug-16 18:17:56

Message deleted by MNHQ. This is potentially identifying, we think it's best it goes.

Sootica Mon 15-Aug-16 19:57:49

I love it! But don't make it modern whatever you do

Blu Mon 15-Aug-16 20:01:52

The door between the dining room and kitchen might be original? In which case leave - but it is fine anyway, and the glass is good from a light pov. The front door is obv not original and is not nice, inside or out. If you can't afford to replace straight away just paint the inside to get rid of the orange 70s wood.

What is that grey Victorian rag business beneath the sink?

I do think it is a lovely house.

Blu Mon 15-Aug-16 20:04:30

The quarry tiles are great.

If you want minimalist as could be achieved in a Corbusier concrete-built flat, it isn't going to work, but I would say go for simplicity, airy colours and lack of clutter and it will reduce the claustrophobic feel of the current décor and furniture.

SwedishEdith Mon 15-Aug-16 20:11:46

Here's quite an airy room with tiles - something like this?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now