Removing lead paint from wooden windows

(6 Posts)
UnOeufIsEnough Sun 14-Aug-16 16:43:22

Hello,

Anyone with any experience of removing lead paint from wooden windows? We've tried Peelaway 1 and just wondered if there's a better way.

We're looking to repaint them afterwards rather than varnish.

UnOeufIsEnough Sun 14-Aug-16 18:52:26

Bump smile

JT05 Sun 14-Aug-16 19:59:09

Wear a mask and hot gun it off?

BumbleNova Mon 15-Aug-16 09:56:51

have you tried Klingstrip? it worked really well on our wooden windows and we definitely have the original victorian paint. I think the advice is not to use a heat gun if it is lead.

wowfudge Mon 15-Aug-16 10:06:50

My understanding is that paint stripper or a heat gun is the safest way to remove paint containing lead. Sanding creates dust and breathing in the dust is the problem with lead paint.

mummycarolyn Wed 28-Sep-16 22:51:42

Actually - don't think either is the case. Hire a professional. I've heard of serious adult lead poisoning cases from heating lead - it changes the state of it. Sanding it down is the best way but you need a professional to securely contain the area. In the US, the professionals who do it where hazmat suits and landlords are required to have their tenants vacate the property while it is done. There is a quite serious lack of knowledge about lead in this country. (I've just unearthed this after we found lead in our flat which could have affected my newborn.)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now