Would you threaten to pull out?

(12 Posts)
Jjou Mon 08-Aug-16 15:05:51

Put an offer in on a house at the end of April, and completed the sale of ours in May. We've been living with family since. We had a completion date of the end of August which has now been rejected by the top of the chain, as they 'want to move out slowly' and would like more than a few weeks notice. (date was agreed on the 2nd Aug) The next date the chain can do is end of September. Wtf? When we were selling we desperate for it to go through and did everything to make it happen. These guys are just fucking around. Are we being unreasonable to say it happens at the end of August or we walk? We could buy another house in the 7 and a half weeks we'll be waiting. All parties of the chain have dragged their feet every step of the way, and as the bottom we're just powerless. I've had enough: we're effectively homeless with 2 small children who have been commuting to a different city for school! Im so fucked off that these selfish knobheads won't move as they'd like over 3 weeks notice to move their stuff at a leisurely pace.
What would you do? Grit your teeth as you've come so far (conveyancing, mortgage, everything done at our end) or walk away? I'm utterly seething and want to slap these fuckwits into next week.

ThomasRichard Mon 08-Aug-16 15:06:59

I'd threaten it and see what happens. You don't lose anything until you actually pull out.

wowfudge Mon 08-Aug-16 15:12:49

Before you threaten to walk, just check what is on the market you'd be interested in.

MovingOnUpMovingOnOut Mon 08-Aug-16 15:16:19

Threaten it.

Jjou Mon 08-Aug-16 15:22:19

There's a few things on the market in the area, none quite as nice, but we've acquiesced at every turn for this property and I'm at the point where another 7 + weeks from today is just too much. Will speak to solicitor and estate agents tomorrow and say if it doesn't happen before the end of August it doesn't happen. The thought of starting again makes me want to set myself on fire but I'm so angry. If it was a problem with funding or something further up the chain then that's one thing, but 'we want to move out slowly and need more than 3 weeks notice' is not a reason to wait 7 weeks imo. Our vendors are away at the beginning of Sept so that's adding to the delay.

namechangedtoday15 Mon 08-Aug-16 15:23:41

I always think you should only threaten something if you're prepared to walk away. They might say no, and then you look stupid if you don't do anything about it.

Think about what would happen if you did - have prices moved (up or down) since April, what have you already paid in respect of this transaction, would you have to go through all the mortgage process again / lose a deal on porting mortgage say if it does take more than 8 weeks or whatever to find something else (that seems very tight to find something else and complete). Presumably you're in school holidays now so the commute's not a massive issue until they go back to school?

AvonCallingBarksdale Mon 08-Aug-16 19:04:09

Jjou - we're in pretty much the same position - so infuriating, isn't it!! Totally empathise with you angry

HarryPottersMagicWand Mon 08-Aug-16 19:26:36

Definitely threaten it, as the bottom, the whole chain will collapse if you walk, then they will have something to panic about. They have pissed you about long enough. Moving at a leisurely pace? Tell them to jog on and get on with it like everyone else bloody has to.

Lweji Mon 08-Aug-16 19:31:01

You can tell them that they can choose to take their time, but you'll be looking actively for similar properties. And do so. Something may well come up.
I'd actually be worried that the top gives up and the chain collapses anyway.

YelloDraw Tue 09-Aug-16 12:26:25

Threaten if you are prepared to walk away.

You are in a super Strong position having already sold your house so shouldn't have an issue getting another house if there are things on the market you like.

Jjou Tue 09-Aug-16 16:21:55

I'm prepared to walk but DH isn't - he's more pragmatic than me. We've suggested alternative dates instead for now and we'll see what they come back with. Whatever way we turn we're screwed - we either walk away and start again, rent somewhere in the meantime or we wait another 7 weeks and hope they actually stick to that date. It's the lack of power that is wrecking me, I hate feeling like we're over a barrel. Our vendors have been fuckwits every step of the way and I've had enough.

JacquettaWoodville Tue 09-Aug-16 16:26:48

The delay is the sum of two people though - your vendors can't help being away i. Sept which they may have booked on the strength of the original date.

Agree with actively looking but not pulling out - a new chain will take longer.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now