Cast iron guttering - repair or replace?

(10 Posts)
readingrainbow Fri 05-Aug-16 12:08:37

The length of guttering on the front of our Victorian house is in pretty bad shape, and is only set to get worse. Each join has visible rust, and one is leaking with plants taking up residence therein!

I've just started ringing round to get some quotes and one chap has suggested pulling down the whole thing and replacing with plastic that has the look of cast iron.

My instinct is "argh" but the cost difference seems substantial - plastic is less than half the price.

Is there a midway point here? What other options can I pursue? This man has said that anyone who insists these gutters can be repaired will just be taking our money and running.

PigletJohn Fri 05-Aug-16 12:56:28

I think you should ask around. Look at other people with iron guttering that looks in good condition, ask if they had it renovated and ask for a recommendation. A local roofer may also know someone.

It is very heavy, and to take it down and refit needs at least a scaffold tower.
It probably needs the joints taken apart and wire-brushed before painting, and new bolts all round. I don't believe you could do a proper job hanging off a ladder.

Doing it properly is harder work than flinging up plastic, and there will be no profit from selling the old stuff to an architectural antiques yard or for scrap. If you look at the price of replacement parts you might guess why some people are keen to take your old guttering away.

readingrainbow Fri 05-Aug-16 17:30:17

Thanks - asking around is a good idea. I'll have a walk round the neighbourhood this weekend!

And yes - the friendly offer of taking the old "scrap" away seemed dubious.

Thelovecats Fri 05-Aug-16 17:53:52

Are you attached to any neighbours? if so it might make a difference depending on what kind they have

readingrainbow Fri 05-Aug-16 18:49:16

Yes, we are end terrace. The neighbours still have their iron guttering.

Doilooklikeatourist Fri 05-Aug-16 18:53:09

We have a Victorian farmhouse
We had our guttering ( dripping , rusting and growing buddleia ) replaced with plastic , the price difference was substantial and though we originally thought NO !!!
You can't tell the difference
Go plastic

readingrainbow Fri 05-Aug-16 19:48:32

Thanks Doilook. How long have you had it, and has it required any repairs since?

Doilooklikeatourist Fri 05-Aug-16 22:48:04

Ummm about 6 weeks !!!!
Had a bit of a drip issue ( when it absolutely poured down )
Phoned the builder and he Came back , the scaffold had dislodged a bit , he sorted it
It's been fine , you honestly can't tell the different , but we aren't attached to another house ,
But don't count it out

Thelovecats Sat 06-Aug-16 12:27:36

You just have to watch the joins with your neighbours guttering then- it can be prone to leaks because they don't always fit well together.

plusthree Sat 06-Aug-16 16:17:22

We've got iron guttering, when we extended our builder got hold of some second hand stuff from a reclamation yard. Painted, it looks like new.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now