Considering move to Pembrokeshire - do english children struggle learning welsh at school?

(7 Posts)
CrumblyMumbly Tue 02-Aug-16 16:30:46

Hi, I am considering a move to Pembrokeshire as I think it is beautiful and a great place to bring up children. My daughter has just finished reception and my only concern is how hard she will find it having to learn welsh in her new school? I will want to find an English medium school so lessons are taught in English if possible. Has anybody got any experience/advice please.

cestlavielife Tue 02-Aug-16 17:15:49

children pick up languages really easily. dont worry.

cestlavielife Tue 02-Aug-16 17:17:02

or post on here www.mumsnet.com/Talk/language_bilingualism

dottyaboutstripes Tue 02-Aug-16 17:19:55

I'm from Pembs and you're right, it's beautiful smile
I'd been living in England for many years but moved back to Wales a couple of years ago - my kids are doing ok in their Welsh lessons (English medium). In all honesty, there's not a great deal of importance placed on Welsh lessons but my year 2 ds just randomly comes out with Welsh words all the time so something's sticking in his mind (eg he always says diolch rather than thank you these days!)

Thegirlinthetrousers Tue 02-Aug-16 17:20:44

If she's only just in reception, she'll be absolutely fine. It's pretty repetitive Welsh for the first few years...greetings, weathers classroom instructions etc. I'm assuming you won't be sending her to a Welsh medium school? Though plenty of parents do, including those who don't speak Welsh at home and seem to get on fine. I wouldn't worry about it too much at her age. It would be different if she was secondary age as everyone does GCSE Welsh xx

CrumblyMumbly Tue 02-Aug-16 17:48:20

Lovely, thanks all. My dh and I are going to learn welsh too which I'm sure will be more of a challenge!

frazzled3ds Wed 03-Aug-16 10:05:07

I live in Pembs and have 3 ds all in English medium primary school. The majority of the schools here are English medium, although there are a number of dedicated Welsh units attached to some, with only a handful of Welsh medium primaries about the place, and currently only one Welsh medium secondary. There's a lot of changes being proposed to the school structures in the county, which may take some time to filter through.

Learning Pembrokeshire and Pembrokeshire College offer Adult Welsh Language courses, I did one a few years ago, and have promptly forgotten most of it..... my boys know more Welsh than me! At primary level it is largely conversational, although features in written work as they move up (my lot will be in Yrs 6, 5 and 1) from September. I wouldn't worry about it - your daughter will pick it up no problem and from her new friends too smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now