Selling Family House in September

(12 Posts)
AddToBasket Mon 01-Aug-16 17:30:03

Just wondering if this it is mad to put a five bed family home on the market just after the start of the academic year? It is definitely a family home - big garden etc.

Does anyone have any experience of this?

AddToBasket Mon 01-Aug-16 17:55:21

Anyone?

JT05 Mon 01-Aug-16 17:59:35

We sold our family house in October to a local upsizing family. It fell through due to their financial situation. We then immediately sold it to a couple who wanted a forever home.

This was after a summer of little interest. Go for it!

AddToBasket Mon 01-Aug-16 19:57:46

Thanks for your reply. We are realistic about the price but are more worried there are no buyers around at that time.

PlotterOfPlots Mon 01-Aug-16 20:34:47

Big deadline for school applications round here is mid Jan. Worth finding out what the deadline is round your way. Going on the market Sept might work well if you are able to move quickly, and are in a sought after catchment area. But you'd be cutting it fine.

OTOH if your buyers are likely to be looking at private school, they'll be less focussed on the application date cut off.

AddToBasket Mon 01-Aug-16 20:43:05

We've moved out so it will be ready to go. Paperwork will be the only hold up - they could get the keys ASAP.

Sprig1 Mon 01-Aug-16 20:46:43

I would put it on as soon as you can. There is very little on the market and things are selling v quickly and for good prices as a consequence (at least where we are in Wilts).

AddToBasket Mon 01-Aug-16 21:07:22

We can't get it on before mid September unfortunately. We will hopefully be able to let people know it is coming on the market a bit before.

mutley79 Mon 01-Aug-16 21:26:52

I'd say so. We're moving into rented in Sept but looking for a place to buy swiftly (no chain - just sold ours in order to be good buyers/new to area) for the Jan school application deadline.

Blu Mon 01-Aug-16 21:39:35

The respective deadlines for primary and secondary admissions are the same everywhere in England.

Is the house in catchment for a sought after school?

Parents upsizing locally, with their kids already in school won't be bothered about when. It's only people changing area or in a transition year who will be sensitive to the school year.

AddToBasket Tue 02-Aug-16 10:46:03

We're outside a city so the target is commuters looking for a home with large garden. I guess it might be someone local but I think that is less likely.

CrumblyMumbly Wed 03-Aug-16 10:08:15

Our Estate Agent told me that September is a really busy time - people could be moving to be closer to school or once they've sneakily got one of the few school places by renting a flat next door to it, then they can buy a house where they want...(bitter emoticon)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now