Architect cost?

(5 Posts)
Jeezimacasalinga Mon 01-Aug-16 11:29:41

We are planning a small addition to our existing loft extension. Wandsworth council will now permit you to extend the along the whole length of the rear roof (typical Victorian terrace), giving us space for a bigger bedroom and shower room there, instead of the existing small bedroom. That sounds complicated, sorry! If you are still following, and knowledgeable about these kind of extensions, could you post an idea of what you think the architect fees would be? I have been quoted £2900, and have no idea if this is standard or not. Thanks!

JT05 Mon 01-Aug-16 12:05:36

It depends what you are asking them to do; just supply plans for planning permission and building regs.or manage the whole project.

Some will work on a percentage of the total cost, others will have an hourly rate. I'd get more than one quote.

PSJ1 Mon 01-Aug-16 18:35:15

It would be worth speaking to more than one architect (you can search for local architects and view portfolios on the RIBA website, for example). I would expect the architect to visit the site free of charge to discuss my ideas, and then send me a fee proposal.

(I'm just awaiting planning permission for a small semi to the side and rear, with an attic conversion - I used the RIBA website and invited 3 architects to visit the site before deciding).

Sushiqueen Mon 01-Aug-16 21:21:51

Definitely get several quotes. Ours varied from £800 to £3,000 - for doing the same spec.
They visited first and gave us some ideas for no charge. One even gave us some drawings free.

Peanuts79 Tue 02-Aug-16 10:55:29

I would get several quotes. We were very green and went with an architect who is very expensive thinking this was the norm - for design concept, planning and building regs £5500 including VAT. We are now looking elsewhere for planning and building regs. We have not asked for anything fancy at all, reconfiguration of rooms so more open plan and a loft conversion. We are thrilled with the plans, a few details which will really make it that we hadn't thought of.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now