Shell loft conversion - how much?

(6 Posts)
Peanuts79 Sat 30-Jul-16 10:00:47

I think we've gone wrong in our timings of when we want/ can start work on our house renovation project. We were desperately saving thinking we would start sept time next year. However are in the midst of having bat surveys only for a maternity roost to be found under the eaves! What this means is we can't do our planned loft conversion between April and August. But the ecology licence only lasts 12 months so will expire in August....

If I'm reading this right we need to have done something prior to April. So I'm thinking of the bare minimum but will need to include removing a chimney and 2 dormers as this is what the licence is for.

So I wondered if anyone knew the rough cost a shell loft conversion would cost? Of course we could re-do the bat survey, but this itself with all the various visits and licence costs £5K!

Any tips or experiences very much appreciated.

Peanuts79 Tue 02-Aug-16 10:56:31

Anyone?

SheriffCallie Tue 02-Aug-16 15:32:15

We have recently completed a loft conversion, it was only to create a bedroom ie no ensuite, so probably counts as 'a shell'.
We didn't need to put the stairs in but the rest (putting an escape window in the wall and re-siting the boiler flue below), new steels and floor joists and their installation, a velux window, insulated door, all the insulation, boarding out and drywall, one radiator and a light and 3 electric sockets, plus building regs) cost us £7.5k.

SheriffCallie Tue 02-Aug-16 15:34:59

Should have pointed out that this gave us a 13ft by 12ft room as obviously the size of the room affects costs. Had we converted the full space, we'd have a 12ft by 26ft room, but it would have been almost double the cost too.

Peanuts79 Wed 03-Aug-16 18:30:17

Thanks so much for your reply - that's amazing and definitely gives me hope. Was it someone independent who did this for you?

SheriffCallie Wed 03-Aug-16 19:41:53

It was a builder relative, but he had been out of work for a while due to injury, so we paid his normal rates rather than mates rates as we wanted to be fair. We are NI so labour may be cheaper here, I'm not sure?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now