Restrictive covenant - dwellinghouse for single family occupation

(1 Post)
YelloDraw Thu 28-Jul-16 15:55:04

Hello

I'd appreciate a bit of advice.

Buying a house and it has a restrictive covenant saying it shall be used for no other purpose than as a private dwellinghouse for single family occupation.

Has anyone got experience of this?

It is an ex-LA house in London although not on an estate, it is an infill of about 8 houses on a road of older properties.

Solicitor is being a bit useless and just saying I have to comply with this.

I'm trying to work out what the impact of this really is? To comply would limit my options in the future if I wanted to or needed to rent it out as I wouldn't be able to rent to e.g. 3 friends.

When I come to sell, this will limit the pool of potential buyers as no BTL investor would want to buy it?

I am guessing the covenant is rarely enforced unless you get complaints from neighbors that you've turned your house into a whacking great annoying HMO...

Does anyone know:
- Where I can find information out about the last time this restrictive covenant was enforced by the council in the borough;
- Any info on how likely it is to be enforced; and
- What kind of a value impact this would/should have given reduced pool or potential buyers?

Thanks for any advice.

YelloD

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now