want to withdraw from sale

(11 Posts)
user1467297746 Wed 27-Jul-16 22:34:04

Had a few issues with the vendor - survey said might have some movement - drains had some problems - and they have dragged their feet fixing the drains - had a look at the other half of the semi next door and it seems to be on the lean and has some cracked tiles.

I just asked my mums insurance agent to quote for insurance on it - and we sent her the survey - she came back and said they wont insure it without a full structural survey - we just found this out on Monday.

Now just seen a detached place for less cash up the road - needs a little bit of work. but its asking about 15 K less than we offered on this place.

I think we want to pull out and go for this one

Problem is it's the same EA.

What should we say? feeling a bit bad becos we did force the vendor to fix the drains - but its taken them well over a month - we couldnt do the CCTV in the drain due to a problem with some bodged up drain fix.

thnx

specialsubject Thu 28-Jul-16 10:40:28

No problem. You don't buy houses to be nice. E a won't care, it is still commission.
But if you are pulling out, do so quickly. Rule for living...smile

AliceTheCamelHasNoHumps Thu 28-Jul-16 10:49:54

Just do it. Took us 3 years to sell and find the right house, during which time I learnt to be pretty ruthless (not really in my character but needs must) If the same EA then that's good. They still potentially get a sale from you. You have the power in this situation!

NarcyCow Thu 28-Jul-16 10:57:22

Just do it. We did recently (though for different reasons). It's a huge commitment, you can't go through with it just to be nice!

user1467297746 Thu 28-Jul-16 12:13:43

its done! actually I feel relieved - worried about possible subsidence for a while and they really dragged their feet fixing the drains so we could have a CCTV survey.

Had a few cracks in the wall.

actually another factor is several better and cheaper properties have just appeared. ( detached and in good area close by - compared to this semi )

The EA just emailed me and asked if I would send them a copy of the survey

specialsubject Thu 28-Jul-16 13:16:10

a feeling of relief indicates you made the right decision!

the survey is usually confidential between you and the surveyor - so check that. You don't have to justify this decision.

onwards and upwards.

HereIAm20 Thu 28-Jul-16 14:53:28

The survey is not confidential between you and your surveyor. However you are the only one who would be able to rely upon it (and sue them if they had been negligent in their report). There is nothing to stop you showing the agent who presumably now he has been notified of the reason for withdrawal has to disclose it to future buyers. Having the report will be able to help him to disclose the reason more accurately.

HarryPottersMagicWand Thu 28-Jul-16 14:54:26

Don't give them the survey. You paid for that, it's yours.

I pulled out of a purchase after issues showed up but I felt obliged as I knew the vendor. But the relief was amazing and we have a much better house now. Didn't regret it for a second.

specialsubject Thu 28-Jul-16 14:57:03

That confidentiality notice has been on all my surveys. Maybe somethg has changed.

whois Thu 28-Jul-16 14:57:36

Don't give them the survey. You paid for that, it's yours.

Bit harsh.

If you're pulling out of a sale for valid reasons I don't see why you wouldn't let the EA have a copy of the survey. Any new buyer can't rely on it, but they can have a look-see so they know what they are getting themselves in for, and to see if they want to progress to an offer and getting their own survey.

May09Bump Thu 28-Jul-16 15:13:04

I agree with HPMW, don't give them the survey - say it's available to purchase if vendors or new buyer want it. We sold ours after pulling out of sale (following survey issues and renegotiation failing) to the new buyers, you can also can sell solicitors searches too. We offered it at 75% of cost value. We did full structural, asbestos etc so cost a lot.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now