Boiler/ Loft Conversion Question

(8 Posts)
Summersalmostgone Mon 25-Jul-16 22:24:19

We are looking to replace our current boiler as parts keep breaking on it and our bills are astronomical! It's a hot water cylinder type boiler.
Our plumber has quoted us £3,500 to rip out the old tank etc and install a new Vaillant combi boiler. We live in a 3 bed house but plan to do s loft conversion in a year or so which will add another bedroom and an ensuite. The plumber has taken this into account when choosing which boiler to install.

I'm wondering whether we should go ahead now or if it would be better to wait and get the boiler changed as part of the loft conversion? Truth be told it's a little pricier than we expected!

Hufflepuffin Tue 26-Jul-16 14:20:23

I would at the very least get the plans for the loft conversation drawn up first in case you need to move the boiler.

HappyHippyChick Tue 26-Jul-16 14:22:25

We needed to move the boiler when we had our loft converted as it was where the stairs were going to go. It cost about £5k to move the pipe work and install the new boiler.

Junosmum Tue 26-Jul-16 14:27:42

That sounds a fair price to me for a decent boiler that will pump to 3 floors. If I were you I'd get it done now- no more costly repairs but like huffle, I'd get plans drawn for the conversion, so you know where pipes need to be etc.

salsamad Tue 26-Jul-16 14:33:22

My DH is a heating engineer/plumber - it's quite easy to check the prices of boilers on the web and you can compare that to the boilers price on your quote (your quote should really highlight what you are paying for). The price he quoted will include all fixtures, fittings, valves, copper piping etc as well as his daily rate. His costs depends on how much work he's factored in, the size/output of your boiler (better bigger boilers are more costly but more efficient in larger houses), it also depends on where you are in the UK. I would advise getting 3 quotes from reputable plumbers (ask your friends/neighbours) so you can compare quotes.
I really wouldn't advise having a boiler (combi or otherwise) in a bedroom (even with a carbon monoxide detector), so maybe you need to wait if you can and get the new boiler included in the conversion so it can be sited in the en suite so it won't need to be moved again (at more expense).

Pootles2010 Tue 26-Jul-16 14:45:19

I would wait, and fit it around your loft conversion. Would be awful ifyou had to pay to move it in the future. And get lots of quotes. Is yours broken down to show components etc? Our gasman did that with ours, with different prices for 3 different options of boilers.

We paid 2900 to have our boiler put in the loft, plus for them to remove tanks (same as you, went from hot water cylinder type to combi), and also to replace/move 2 radiators (but not including cost o the new rads).

We are the in Yorkshire if that makes a different, and ours was an Ideal. Dunno how that compare to yours?!

Summersalmostgone Tue 26-Jul-16 17:33:09

The quote is for top of the range Vaillant boiler but I don't know any more than that. I know he has factored in a future second bathroom.

The boiler is currently in the airing cupboard and the new boiler will be there too, so it won't affect the loft conversion. I just wondered if it was a natural part of the conversion process and factored into the cost usually.

athousandsplendidsuns Tue 26-Jul-16 21:53:59

We had our boiler moved and replaced earlier in the year and are currently having our loft conversion done. We also asked the plumber for one big enough to cope with extra room. When we got loft quotes it wasnt something they included as standard, I think they only raise the issue (and charge extra) if they find your boiler isn't big enough when they do the loft plumbing. We paid just under 3k for a good Worcester combi boiler and moving all the connections from a bedroom to the kitchen.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now