Stupid question - radiator efficiency

(5 Posts)
namechangedtoday15 Sun 24-Jul-16 20:32:21

So, the BTU calculator says I need about 3700 BTU to heat a bedroom. I have found a couple of options - so (for instance) a 2 column vertical radiator (so very tall and slim) with a BTU output of about 4000, and a 3 column radiator (more traditional rectangular, about 1m x 60cm) also with a BTU output of 4000.

Will they both produce the same heat / warm the room equally? I know placement plays a part (i.e. under a window or not) but should I be judging simply of BTU output and then the rest is just a preference re style?

Thank you for any advice.

becks5109 Mon 25-Jul-16 10:40:25

I'm no expert either but my guess would be that one has a higher wattage than the other or that one might be a single row of bars and the other a double row?

namechangedtoday15 Mon 25-Jul-16 11:34:16

Thank you becks - I understand its probably to do with the depth - 3 columns as opposed to 2 say, but the BTUs and wattage are very similar. It was probably a question as to whether the surface area makes a difference?!

PigletJohn Mon 25-Jul-16 12:00:19

A low wide one will heat the room more evenly than a narrow tall one, even if the nominal output is the same.

Tall radiators are very good at heating ceilings.

namechangedtoday15 Mon 25-Jul-16 12:25:05

Thank you PJ smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now