Boiler in the kitchen

(14 Posts)
NervyBuyer2016 Sun 24-Jul-16 08:36:45

Our new house has the boiler in the kitchen, such an eyesore. The kitchen will be ripped out and replaced when we get a chance, but what can I do about the boiler? We are FTB and have no idea what is and isn't allowed in terms of what we can do about it. We don't really have anywhere else we can move it to I don't think, though we will get a better feel for the house and use of space when we get in I'm sure.

Has anyone kept the boiler in the kitchen when putting a new kitchen in? How did you make it work?

FoxesOnSocks Sun 24-Jul-16 08:39:00

Is it wall mounted?

Mines in a cupboard. (As is the boiler in the kitchen of everyone I know who has a boiler in the kitchen)

dudsville Sun 24-Jul-16 08:42:21

Mine is in the kitchen behind one of the corner unit cupboards. Like inbuilt or integrated fridges and dishwashers, you'd never know it was there.

NervyBuyer2016 Sun 24-Jul-16 08:43:36

Yes it's up on a wall in the corner.

For some reason I thought I'd read that putting boilers into small cupboards was a no. So good to hear that we can pop it into a cupboard and streamline the look of the new kitchen. Panic over 😂

FoxesOnSocks Sun 24-Jul-16 08:45:55

There's no top or bottom to the cupboard mines it (not that you can see that)

NervyBuyer2016 Sun 24-Jul-16 10:13:09

Foxes could I be cheeky and request a pic? Would love to see what others have done with it.

Lelivre Sun 24-Jul-16 13:30:32

Twice we have moved the boiler. This time it went upstairs into a spare bedroom cupboard. It's very very quiet. I had some prohibitive quotes to do this but eventually reasonable one.

Getting it to fit into a wall unit can restrict both the design of your kitchen and the type of boiler. There are just a few made to fit into such housing.

The other advantage to moving it is the space you gain and also the noise reduction. Sometimes boiler plus dishwasher plus washing machine plus fan oven plus extractor, gets a much if your kitchen is open plan or a dining one.

PigletJohn Sun 24-Jul-16 14:39:46

Combis are pretty well bound to be noisier that conventional or system boilers, because a combi fires up at full power every time someone turns a hot tap on, and, if you are running a bath or shower, will continue at full power until finished.

Boilers running a cylinder very rarely need to run at full power. Mine will, for 10 minutes or so, in unusually cold weather if all the radiators, or the cylinder, have gone fully cold with the boiler turned off. More often it coasts along at low power, just topping up lost heat as required. Modern boilers are able to modulate themselves down to the power demanded, so the flame size and fan speed are reduced, which makes them quieter and more economical.

FoxesOnSocks Sun 24-Jul-16 18:29:16

I dint want to post photos of anything personal and I can't pm a photo, but it's like this one. Except there's no bottom or to to mine - the plinth thing (whatever it's called) meets the ceiling.

FoxesOnSocks Sun 24-Jul-16 18:31:13

Actually this one is more like it

PigletJohn Sun 24-Jul-16 19:29:26

mine is a Viessmann 100, and the makers boast that it will fit into an ordinary wall cabinet.

In fact, my cabs are 300mm deep, and the boiler is 340mm, so not quite.

It is 350mm wide, so I bought a 400mm door, and if I ever get round to it will buy or make a slightly oversized cab. Having it at the end of the wall makes it less conspicuous.

It is only 530mm high, so one of the smallest on the market. Like many modern boilers, it is made so it can be serviced from the front, so does not need space at the sides. It does however have pipes coming out of the top and the bottom, and access is needed to the flue on the top, for testing.

I don't think you could make a combi so small, as they have more parts inside.

p.s. the thing on the top might be called the cornice.

PigletJohn Sun 24-Jul-16 20:04:47

ah, they've changed the brochure.

It now says "With a depth of only 285 mm (340 mm on the 35 kW model) the compact Vitodens 100-W Open vent boiler is perfectly suited for integration into standard kitchen cupboards. "

(though mine is an older version)

whois Mon 25-Jul-16 12:49:13

Same as everyone else - our boiler is in the kitchen and in a large kitchen cupboard but with no top or bottom (you can't see that). It is at the end of a run of cupboards so doesn't look silly. Has the same top hight but comes down lower towards the counter.

OOAOML Mon 25-Jul-16 13:05:01

The place we're buying has the boiler in the bathroom which I though was weird because everywhere else seems to have them in the kitchen. We don't have one where we are just now and are looking forward to heating in winter and hot water without using the immersion heater. Although not so impressed when I think about the logistics of having it serviced etc.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now