Is there a conveyancing company worse than Countrywide?

(7 Posts)
Blatherskite Fri 22-Jul-16 15:54:34

I'm at my whit's end with them.

We sold our house months ago to some guy in the UAE who was going to rent it out. We made and had an offer accepted on the house we want. They made and had an offer accepted on a house where the sellers were emigrating. Nice, short and easy chain and everything was going swimmingly until 2 weeks before we were due to complete when Brexit happened and the UAE buyer decided that Britain was not where he wanted to invest anymore and he pulled out.

We put our house back on the market, our sellers agreed to wait, as did their sellers and we resold the house in 6 days!

But the new buyers are using Countrywide and now everything has round to a halt!

Our solicitors sent a letter out 17 days ago asking if they could confirm that they are acting for our buyers and there has been no reply at all sad

Our estate agent has rung them. Our solicitor has rung them. Even I have tried ringing them but they refuse to talk to me because I'm not their client. Damn right. I will NEVER be a Countrywide client!

I'm actually at the point where I'm considering putting the house back on the market as starting from scratch as that might just be faster than waiting for Countrywide to do something!

whattodoforthebest2 Fri 22-Jul-16 16:07:54

I would email them (if you have an email address for them), copying in the estate agent and the solicitor, stating that unless you receive confirmation by close of business on Monday that the purchase is proceeding and that their client is in a position to move forward without any further delays, that you will be putting the house back on the market first thing on Tuesday morning.

whattodoforthebest2 Fri 22-Jul-16 16:08:54

Btw tell your buyers too (by phone and/or email) of your intentions.

SweetPea79 Fri 22-Jul-16 16:14:42

They are very sneaky! We put an offer in on a house where the agent was owned by Countrywide, they sent us a load of forms to fill in which I dutifully started doing, only to realise they were mortgage application forms and as we already had a mortgage in principal we didn't need to apply for another one, when I called them to tell them this they said we'd have a better chance of securing the house if we had a mortgage through them.

They then suddenly had a cash buyer outbid us and we're most disgruntled when I refused to increase our bid as I though it was bullshit!

They were bloody awful and their estate agent had no idea, on another house they told us someone else's garden was included!!!

OnlyTheDepthVaries Fri 22-Jul-16 17:23:23

We used them for house purchase and sell in December 16.....it started in June!
Bloody awful slow service.
Never again!

Blatherskite Fri 22-Jul-16 17:45:05

After me ringing them, the estate agents ringing them and our solicitors ringing them, they have agreed to send an email confirming that they are acting for our buyers.

Will be today or Monday I'm told. I will believe it when I see it.

Thankfully, this is supposed to be the 'forever house' but if we were ever to move again I think I'll be insisting that not only will we not be using Countrywide but we won't sell to anyone who does either!

6 months OnlyTheDepth! We want to move before the end of the holidays!

DesolateWaist Fri 22-Jul-16 17:56:09

I got part way through a sale with them and got so fed up that I changed to a local solicitors.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now