Gas hob - 4 or 5 burners?

(14 Posts)
TheNorthernTights Thu 21-Jul-16 15:29:20

I'm dithering over which gas hob to order - looking at a 5 burner, with the wok burner thing, but not sure we really need that. Also, mostly the wok burner is in the middle, and I'm thinking there might not be room to put other pans around a large wok.
Can anyone share hob stories please? (how did I become so obsessed with this?!

malovitt Thu 21-Jul-16 15:32:13

I have had a very expensive five burner for over fifteen years and have never needed to use more than three at the same time - there isn't room for five pans at once anyway.
Just looking to replace and will be getting a four burner in the future.

specialsubject Thu 21-Jul-16 16:22:00

You can't use five pans at once, but the bigger hob gives space for four.

Bails2014 Thu 21-Jul-16 16:24:33

I have a Range Master with 5 rings, the wok Bruner is to the right hand side so plenty of space for five pans.

I bloody love it! Super handy to have a variety of sizes and although I rarely use all five at one, I have done in the past. The same also applies to the second tall oven!

DramaAlpaca Thu 21-Jul-16 16:32:38

I have a five burner gas hob with a wok burner in the middle. I chose that rather than a range because I wanted a separate eye level double oven so I didn't have to bend down to use it.

I do like the five burner, but I find there really isn't much room for large pans on the other rings if I'm using the wok. Our wok is quite big, a smaller one would probably fit.

It's worth it for us because we stir fry a lot, and I've never regretted going for the five burner.

Bear in mind, if you go for the five burner hob you'll probably need an extra width extractor fan above it.

TotalConfucius Thu 21-Jul-16 16:35:58

My hob has a simmer burner in the middle. It's a pain. Actually it no longer works. But still requires copious amounts of cleaning. If it was in use I couldn't get a pasta pan on the hob as well, so any dreams of a simmering bolly sauce and a pan of pasta are out the window. I expect any plans you have for a fiery wok full of veg and chicken and a pan of rice will go same way.

TheNorthernTights Thu 21-Jul-16 16:39:40

Thanks all.
Just spoken to OH who is adamant he wants a 5 burner! The wok thing to the side rather than the middle sounds like a good idea.

Basically we tend to cook most stuff in a big, wok type but with a flat bottom, pan, and then need to boil/steam the rest.

Decisions decisions. And thats without getting me started on oven, combi microwave, dishwasher, extractor...... grin

SpringSpringSpring Thu 21-Jul-16 16:43:03

I went for five just for the extra space - there weren't any 4 burners this wide and I often use four at once. The centre one on ours is for a wok but I find it easier to have the wok at the front because it's easier to shake it when it close to me if that makes sense.

Catsgowoof Thu 21-Jul-16 17:38:55

I have a 6 burner and find that if I try to use them all at once our gas supply ism't up to the job and nothing cooks

OnePlanOnHouzz Fri 22-Jul-16 21:26:43

Maybe you could get s standard 4 burner and then buy a free stinging induction hob ring that you can plug in as and when you need an additional ring ?!?

OnePlanOnHouzz Fri 22-Jul-16 21:27:17

Lol - *freestanding !!!

BlackAmericanoNoSugar Fri 22-Jul-16 21:30:06

I have a 5-burner and the wok ring is on the left hand side. I've never needed to use all five at the same time so I can't comment on whether it's possible to fit four pans and a wok on at the same time.

SealSong Fri 22-Jul-16 21:30:56

Five burner. Never need to put five pans on at once (unless it's Christmas dinner) but it's great to use for three pans as you have the extra room across.

StepAwayFromTheThesaurus Sun 24-Jul-16 18:28:14

I used to have a 5 burner hob but we moved and this house has a (crap) 4 burner. I really miss my nice big hob. This one feels really, really cramped.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now