Has anyone had to deal with an "unsquare" kitchen

(7 Posts)
magicstar1 Mon 18-Jul-16 09:54:41

We're doing a total kitchen refurb, and the original extension shell is totally off square. One wall is 217 inches and the other is 220.5 inches. The longer wall is where all the units are going, like an L shape, and the corner is totally off.
Has anyone had to deal with this type of thing, and what did you do?

Thanks

whois Mon 18-Jul-16 10:06:33

Do you want an L shape of units? If so I reckon a nice bespoke corner unit to join the two straight runs would sort it out.

origamiwarrior Mon 18-Jul-16 10:09:17

I would imagine you would place the kitchen 'square' (so you have a genuine right angle at the front of the units/inside edge of the worktop) and the have the wall run off, i.e. your worktop would need to be cut accordingly. You could either cut into to reduce the service void at the back of the units where needed (where it runs out at the end of the short part of the L run) or, you could instead have extra deep work top at the right angle of the L run, to compensate.

3 inches is nothing - it wouldn't be noticeable when fitted

magicstar1 Mon 18-Jul-16 10:42:09

We can't really get bespoke..it's going to be an Ikea kitchen. The worktop seems to be the best solution alright. Thanks

origamiwarrior Mon 18-Jul-16 11:18:24

I can't remember which way it is, but Ikea kitchens have either a bigger or smaller service void at the back, so that might dictate your choice of which solution to go with.

Bails2014 Mon 18-Jul-16 11:24:27

Order off the shelf and get a decent kitchen fitter to fit it.

I got mine measured by Howden's kitchen 'designer' who was frankly awful, he mismeasured a lot of it and told OH I'd asked for an American style fridge to be included (despite having a 6 month old standard fridge).

Our amazing kitchen fitter rescued it, made it fit and it didn't cost a fortune!

Obeliskherder Mon 18-Jul-16 12:37:49

Yes you need a triangle shaped space behind the units I think. Agree that 3 inches is not much - no room is perfectly square. That's why you always measure both sides of a window when ordering blinds - you'd be surprised how much much off square a window "hole" can be, let alone a whole room!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now