Large, nice, ready made curtains

(24 Posts)
Needmoresleep Thu 14-Jul-16 10:39:33

Help please! Years ago my parents retired to a large sea-front flat in an area which has since become very fashionable. My mother is in a care home, and for various reasons, I am not in a position to sell the flat so I rent it out to pay care costs. I don't have the money to do major renovation, but want to maximise any revenue by getting it looking clean and up to date.

The priority is curtains. Floral was clearly all the rage 25 years ago, but they now look nasty though they are great quality, and still going strong. The very lovely thing about the flat is its astonishing views, and the fact that the flat has two huge French windows leading onto balconies. My guess is that all these windows need is some plain linen like curtains, rather than the Chelsea flower show competitors that hang there at the moment. I am thinking of something sand coloured that will match the pastel sand/sea/sky views. The, equally good, carpets are turquoise, so there is enough colour in the rooms. The curtains need to be lined, look good quality, and feel reasonably substancial, but be as cheap as possible.

The problem is that the windows are large. My measurements are that I need a drop of 225cm (89 inches) and a width of 275cm (108 inches). Does anyone have suggestions for suppliers, internet or high street.

I have no particular preference for poles or rails, other than the current pelmets MUST go. Again I would welcome advice on what might be most suitable.

The thing I hate most about managing property is the "shopping", and am always amazed at how much home decoration expertise there is here. I am hoping you will rise to the challenge.

JT05 Thu 14-Jul-16 11:38:07

We have just curtained windows of a similar size. The Ready made ones I sourced in shops and on line, didn't come large enough, although someone else might have found some.

In the end I went for Dunelm made to measure, fully lined. They are excellent, beautifully made in the traditional way. They were not as expensive as the on line made to meaure ones, but price would depend on your choice of fabric. Hope this helps.

wobblywonderwoman Thu 14-Jul-16 11:39:44

We have huge windows. I bought mine in an independant shop but I checked Amazon and they are on in

Hamilton McBride

Over 300cm width. Will take a photo of mine

Needmoresleep Thu 14-Jul-16 13:10:56

Thanks,

It looks as if one or two Hamilton McBridge ranges will come in extra wide, but it might be difficult to order directly. I might try to visit a London stockist. I am now looking at Dunelm, which might also work.

Further ideas welcome.

SauvignonPlonker Thu 14-Jul-16 15:36:09

I have a similar drop & looked at Ikea, Next & Dunelm, also m&s.

Singingstarfish Thu 14-Jul-16 20:37:29

Hello, I find Ikea are good and also the natural curtain company
www.naturalcurtaincompany.co.uk

LBOCS2 Thu 14-Jul-16 21:27:32

I found huge ones reasonably priced in Dunelm. But don't write off the IKEA voile panels, they could lend a touch of the French Riviera to the view?

Madbengalmum Thu 14-Jul-16 21:30:41

Have you thought about ebay?
I have sold curtains that cost me thousands for a few quid on there. Better quality for the money certainly.

magicstar1 Thu 14-Jul-16 21:47:33

Ikea are great ...have a look there

Palomb Thu 14-Jul-16 22:04:30

We have massive 300x260 Windows and I've been looking for somewhat I can buy curtains off the peg for months. I'd be really interested to know of anywhere with curtains that size!

Had a quote to have some made but at £600 a pair I've resigned to making them shock

Dogmatix34 Thu 14-Jul-16 22:08:30

Elmet curtains are good. We've just ordered some from there which we're very pleased with.

Felascloak Thu 14-Jul-16 22:09:41

I don't know if you've considered roman blinds in place of curtains but I bought some here
www.madetomeasureblinds-uk.com

Nicely made, easy to fit and not too pricy so could be a good alternative

EsmesBees Thu 14-Jul-16 22:11:12

Would second the Natural Curtain Company. The only ready made ones I could get for our wide Windows. Lovely fabric too.

foreverandalways Thu 14-Jul-16 22:13:00

Dunelm....

SquinkiesRule Thu 14-Jul-16 22:22:43

We have one of these shops near us.
www.juliancharles.co.uk/curtains they make lovely curtains ad bedding and you can find discount codes for online. They email them to me often.

FATEdestiny Thu 14-Jul-16 22:25:18

Ready made door curtains. About £15 each. Buy two. So about £30 for a pair of curtains.

This is your answer. grin

I have four windows over 3m wide and floor to ceiling height. You can either spend a fortune on made-to-measure (at Dunelm) or you can pop onto Amazon and search for "door curtains".

Door curtains are sold as single curtains. They are usually thermal and black out. Loads of colours. Nice and inexpensive. They are door size - about 170cm wide. Buy two the same colour and voila! Perfect curtains for massive windows!

TiggeryBear Thu 14-Jul-16 22:45:05

I bought these from Amazon
Home Bedding Store Thermal Blackout Ringtop Eyelet Curtains 90 x 90 Curtain Pair Green Manhattan Super Soft www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B014Q9BH84/ref=cm_sw_r_apa_GAaIxbQMKK87G
They also do them with 108 inch drop & in different colours. I am so pleased with them in DDs room that I'm getting some more for the living room & dining room when we come to decorate.

Catsgowoof Fri 15-Jul-16 06:20:27

I've had good luck getting massive second hand curtains off ebay, or I have definitely seen people who make curtains to order on there, e.g. (no affiliation or experience of) stores.ebay.co.uk/Vintage-Swish?_trksid=p2047675.l2563

pippitysqueakity Fri 15-Jul-16 07:07:44

Also, are there charity shops near you? People in the same area might donate same size curtains.

RaisingSteam Fri 15-Jul-16 09:17:57

Dunelm. With such big windows the curtains will last better on a corded track so not constantly being pulled. Tenant proof. There are neat ways of hiding it. Also make them one inch above floor so they dont drag/collect dirt.
Making curtains is slow but achievable if you are patient.

namechangedtoday15 Fri 15-Jul-16 10:15:01

That's a standard drop (just short of 90 inches) and when we bought curtains for a similar drop and width, I just bought 2 pairs of the same curtains, maybe 90" x 54" (so had 4 curtains) and stitched each pair together.

Needmoresleep Fri 15-Jul-16 10:18:17

Thank you everyone. I like the Natural Curtain Company website and am about to request sample fabric. However I agree with Raising Steam about the corded track. I will also have a look at door curtains.

The area has changed massively since my parents bought, and its now all a bit Essex-by-Sea. Indeed last year neighbours let to a footballer on loan from Chelsea, there has already had an enquiry from a well known former footballer and DH reckons that the good looking young couple who came round at the weekend are connected with the local Club.

Quite a challenge to convert a dated older people's property without spending much. Luckily the views are amazing so curtains can be neutral.

Next question. The main bedroom is large, and has lots of fitted bedroom furniture, both around the bed and on the opposite side of the room. It is cream and not too awful, though slightly old-fashioned. It includes four double wardrobes as well as a built in dressing table and storage over the bed. The room also has a large built in wardrobe. I will be letting unfurnished, and am tempted to rip it out and repaint. But can see some people welcoming access to that much storage. How naff are fitted bedrooms?

(17 years on and we are still living with the decoration we inherited in our own house. I am in awe of people who know about this sort of thing.)

RaisingSteam Fri 15-Jul-16 11:04:42

IME friends who have rented appreciated built in storage. Having completely clear rooms when you are not allowed to attach anything to the wall is a PITA. Just make sure clean, intact, maybe update handles? And leave a few picture hooks in sensible places.

I read a thing about tenanted houses where they said curtains were better than blinds as easy to replace/wash if damaged. Basically tenants might trash anything. Is there a toughened glass top on the dressing table in case of straighteners?

Needmoresleep Sun 31-Jul-16 22:20:53

I just thought I would update in case anyone else needs big curtains.

Homesense/TKMaxx do "window panels" with a 95in drop. They are either pencil pleat or fit a pole. I have bought two pairs (lined and black out) in a rather boring beige, and the handy man will raise the corded track and pelmet to the top of the wall so they lkength is perfect. (The pelmet is covered with the same flowery curtain fabric as the current curtains so needs to come down anyway so the fabric can be ripped off, and then painted white gloss. A ,local tailor will sew two curtains together to make one pair for £35.

The amazing news is that each pair was only £29.95. So I get a set of huge, bland, beige curtains for just over £100. Better still any tenants can go back to Homesense and change the curtains if they want, for relatively little. (For some reason tenants always seem to change curtains if they can get the right size ready made and cheaply.)

I bought a third pair and the handy man will use the fabric to cover a nasty pink velvet uphostered headboard and dressing table stool. The headboard is part of the fitted bedroom so can't really be removed.

I have been looking at cupboard door handles, as I think they will help update the fitted bedroom furniture. I think I am almost there. I need 30!

The next chore is lighting. At the moment there are two huge, very 80s heavy brass chandalier type things in the living room, with wall lights to match. I have used Poole Lighting before and their website has page upon page of alternatives. Its a tough one. I think I need to wander round as many lighting showrooms as I can find to see different lighting types in the "flesh". Again ideas are welcome.

Thanks again everyone.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now