New bathroom, how much?

(9 Posts)
UptheAnty Mon 11-Jul-16 14:07:59

I know... How long is a piece of string?

But PLEASE help me to make sense of the hell that is house renovationconfused

What did you get and how much did you pay?

UptheAnty Mon 11-Jul-16 14:08:41

...and are you happy?

What would you do different if anything?

user1468157973 Mon 11-Jul-16 21:59:33

My mum is a bargain hunter. She paid £1500 for all the bathroom stuff (tiles, bath, cabinet for the sink, and the toilet is built in too) most stuff came from B&Q. She paid £1000 to a fitter (who did an awful job), who eventually gave her back £500. She paid £500 to a new fitter, who patched it up, and now it looks fantastic.

A lot of it is in the fitting. A cheap bathroom well fitted looks good. An expensive bathroom poor fitted looks bad.

EchidnaPorcupine Mon 11-Jul-16 22:19:54

You need to read this thread - I made copious notes from it when doing our bathroom renos.

Can't remember final cost of ours - between 5 and 10K?

UptheAnty Tue 12-Jul-16 07:38:51

Thanks user, does your mum project manage grin

Great link *ech, I've already read it can't sleep head is overflowing with plumbing

I don't know about anyone else but I'm terrified of buyers remorse. I just organised a gardener to clean up our property and have fretted over the possibility that I've overpaid.

jigster01 Tue 12-Jul-16 10:00:26

Plumber starting tomorrow I hope ! £3700 for all good quality products including a beautiful Matki shower ! Plumber will charge £2500 2 weeks work to gut ,skim,and install.
Tiles and tiler on top.Its expensive but we went to trade plumbers and got great prices ..hope this gives you an idea !

vjg13 Tue 12-Jul-16 10:59:31

Ours was about 10K but there was building work sorting out floor and there is a separate large shower. Also slate tiles on the floor.

UptheAnty Tue 12-Jul-16 20:06:38

I got a quote this evening from a local independent shop for just under £7000.
It sounds like it's comparable ?
This includes extending out into cupboards- tiling, plaster boarding and electrician. We'll be having all new, 2 towel radiates, bath, large sink, vanity unit, toilet and large corner shower.
I'm in the south east.

UptheAnty Tue 12-Jul-16 20:12:15

blush

Thanks everyone for your replies, it does help to get some perspective.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now