Doing up a bathroom - keeping the suite

(3 Posts)
FiddleFigs Thu 07-Jul-16 13:29:46

We had our bathroom completely redone a few years ago, but it was not done well and needs redoing. The actual bathroom suite is fine - the problem is with the tongue & groove panelling (it wasn't put in properly and has started to rot!) and the floor (vinyl, but it's starting to peel away!).

So we want to replace the tongue & groove with tiles, and lay a new floor (also tile).

Presumably, I can keep the bathroom suite and not have to replace that too? I'm not sure how these things work - and feel a bit stupid for asking.

frenchielala Thu 07-Jul-16 13:42:53

Yes you can do that - though a plumber would probably need to remove the toilet and sink and then have them plumbed back in depending on their location to the t&g and where you want tiled. As long as you want to put them back in the same place - this is a quick job for a plumber. It sounds like you will not be able to tile over the t&g (not ideal anyway) as it is mouldy so will need to prepare the walls for tiling. Is the t&g fixed to struts/ batons? if so a tiler should be able to put plasterboard onto the struts and then tile on to that. Floor depends on what it is made of.

A plumber should be able to do this fairly easily - so I would ask a couple, if you have anyone in mind for doing the work.

FiddleFigs Thu 07-Jul-16 13:58:17

french that's really helpful - thanks! I think the t&g is fixed to the walls (I think it's mdf t&g). I'll get a couple of plumbers and tilers in to talk it through.

thanks for responding - good to know that it isn't overly complex!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now