Exchange/completion question

(9 Posts)
PippaFawcett Wed 06-Jul-16 21:59:22

It looks like we might finally be ready to exchange on our house purchase and the vendor wants the two weeks between which apparently is standard.

However, we have to give notice on things like childcare/Sky/sport lessons etc and they are all a month. I know we can suggest a month between exchange and completion, which we probably will, but how does everyone else manage this? Obviously I haven't given notice before now on things in case the sale falls through.

specialsubject Wed 06-Jul-16 22:09:50

Ask and see what happens. All is negotiable, and a month would make life easier.

MrsJervis Wed 06-Jul-16 22:28:46

We agreed on a month for exactly these reasons.

PippaFawcett Thu 07-Jul-16 10:07:25

Mrs, it just seems to make sense to me. Months and months of waiting then exchange/complete within two weeks seems crazy!

perfecteyebrow Thu 07-Jul-16 11:29:11

A month is great , I had that last year when I sold , but if it were me selling right now I would get it sold asap as the property market is a bit unstable at the moment in the aftermath of the referendum , I know it might be harsh but better loosing 2 weeks sky etc than the sale of the house

RoganJosh Thu 07-Jul-16 11:33:03

The most I've ever had was a week.
Can your sky be moved?
Can some of it be changed if you don't move? Any of it fall over holidays anyway if you're delayed? I'd take a mixture of approaches tbh.
So I'd cancel sports lessons a month before estimated completion, move sky, or also cancel it, but be cautious with childcare and wait till exchange. I'd ask really nicely if they'd consider shorter notice.

PippaFawcett Thu 07-Jul-16 16:08:58

Our vendor has been so flaky that there is absolutely no way I would have considered cancelling childcare before exchange. Perfect, I wouldn't lose the sale as we would exchange soon with a delayed completion.

Our holidays booked for the summer are an issue too, hence the month wait which would cover everything. We will suggest a month between and see how we get on, I'm not minded to inconvenience myself too much for the vendor when we wanted to exchange long ago.

Rahgh Thu 07-Jul-16 21:29:39

We have 7 weeks so don't worry it's not unusual x

PippaFawcett Fri 08-Jul-16 17:21:46

Our buyer has agreed but we haven't heard back from the vendor yet..

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now