Can you help me decide on a hob? Do you have a domino hob?

(16 Posts)
ilovetosleep Wed 06-Jul-16 13:58:09

I've got about 24 hours to make up my mind between induction and gas. I am really struggling to say goodbye to Gas, but I hate cleaning it and we're moving the hob to an island so feel induction would be safer.

I kind of feel like I want it all so am considering either a domino set of 3 hobs (probably 1x flexinduction, 1x wok gas, 1x double gas burner) But then it seems pretty pointless - I may as well just stick with gas and get a 5 burner for half the price.

I've also come across this AEG combi hob which seems good, but I don't understand why only the cheaper brands seem to make combi hobs, and there are so few to choose from. I reckon this one is pretty entry level and I don't want to make the switch to induction if its going to be super fast and as intuitive as gas because I've not bought a decent one.

The other concern I have with getting domino hobs is that the total width will be about 96cm, and the island is only 180, leaving just 40 cm either side of usable space - not really enough I don't think.

What would you do?

Thanks in advance!

whois Wed 06-Jul-16 14:52:21

Set of three hobs seems completely pointless. Stick with gas or get induction but don't go for a halfway house.

I love cooking on gas but my sister has and good quality induction and I love cooking on that as well. So responsive. Super easy to clean.

If I was doing a new kitchen I would put induction in.

Anonymousperson Wed 06-Jul-16 21:53:25

My Mum has domino so she can still have a cuppa if there is a powercut!

We have induction and I miss the visibility of gas.

ChunkyHare Wed 06-Jul-16 22:01:21

I love my induction hob, mopping up after boiling over a pot of pasta is a breeze <I may have done that in the last few days>

I like cleaning it, cooking on it, the ease of cooking for the children.

The biggest thing to be aware of is the maximum pan size. I have a De Dietrich which means I can combine zones on the hob giving me two cooking areas combined but this does come at a cost of £850. Ouch. Or it did 3 years ago.

If you try to use a bigger pan than the zone you do get cooler edges that does affect the cooking. I have a massive commercial sized pot which is tall but the base fits the hob so I can batch cook (usually a 24 portion chilli or 6 family meals)

I don't miss gas at all, but we did buy a 2 zone portable induction hob for when we had the kitchen extension built. It meant we could cook but also gave us a test run for the induction hob.

Autumnchill Wed 06-Jul-16 22:06:05

Love my induction for the reason above, cools down quickly and cleans easily. We've got a NEFF which has 5 zones and you can cook across a couple of them if you have a large griddle pan.

Husband said he would never have anything other than gas.

He now loves induction smile

OnePlanOnHouzz Thu 07-Jul-16 07:11:56

Another vote for induction here from a gas lover ! My top tip is treat it as if it's gas - ie no waiting for it to warm up or cool down like as if it was electric - just cook on it like it was gas and you will be fine !

Pradaqueen Thu 07-Jul-16 07:28:05

I installed 2 induction hobs and a domino I set deep fat fryer because Janes Martin had one in Saturday kitchen and love them all. Definitely easy to clean and no worries about being turned on accidentally.

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Thu 07-Jul-16 07:32:38

Induction - it's so much quicker than gas. I'd never have anything else now.

Tollygunge Thu 07-Jul-16 07:34:29

m.johnlewis.com/aeg-hd955100nb-built-in-glass-induction-and-gas-hob-black/p/1853306?sku=234230933&kpid=234230933&s_kenid=f7f212fd-0f65-4fcc-9bcc-73d613bd10f8&s_kwcid=402x357282&tmad=c&tmcampid=73

We have this- I love it.

ilovetosleep Thu 07-Jul-16 21:49:50

Thanks for all the replies. In the time between writing and now we had decided on Gas, and now you've all made me wobble again! I really really do want to stick with gas but the cleaning is my major issue.

Tolly - that is the one I mentioned in my OP - is it really good? I worried that as far as inductions go it is fairly low end - doesn't seem to have lots of fancy pants extra features - but if it is as quick as gas then maybe I'll revisit it....

ilovetosleep Thu 07-Jul-16 21:58:18

What are your thoughts on the practicalities of having gas on an island?

ilovetosleep Thu 07-Jul-16 21:58:39

What are your thoughts about the safety of having gas on an island? There will be a breakfast bar (whole island is 110 deep)

Tollygunge Fri 08-Jul-16 15:10:28

I love it- it isn't as sensitive as some so doesn't react to every small spill. Wok burner is quite good- could do with having slightly more sensitivity on gas burner but it does a good job. Is this really low end?! It cost almost a grand! I thought the ikea ones were low rent

ilovetosleep Fri 08-Jul-16 18:34:08

I didn't mean low end price wise, sorry it came across wrong. I meant I think you probably pay for the novelty and actually the induction part of it is nothing fancy - for the same price (700ish) you could get a super duper top of the range induction with all sorts of super boosts, flex induction zones, fancy controls etc. but it's great to hear you love it. I think we might go for it...

Tollygunge Fri 08-Jul-16 19:57:21

I think if it had anything more fancy I'd find it too confusing! When kitchen fitter put it in he said 'I haven't checked it works- you need a degree in computer science to fry an egg on these bastard things.' 😃

GiddyOnZackHunt Sat 09-Jul-16 00:03:41

I've just replaced my crap old gas hob with a shiny new gas hob smile I am a creature of habit and my saucepans took ages to find with my ridiculous pickiness and wouldn't work with an induction hob. We aren't planning on moving for 20 years though so I'm happy.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now