Big renovation of an ugly duckling

(10 Posts)
PumpingRSI Mon 04-Jul-16 20:47:30

So we're struggling to find a house we like but have fallen in love with a specific area. I'm aware that no house is perfect so am considering taking on a house which is about as imperfect (for me) as it gets by buying a pretty ugly 1970s red brick plain old house. It's on a large plot with neighbours not all tgat close on the adjacent plots. I'd need to provably render / part clad (so it didn't give me the shivers), replace windows and put big kitchen / diner / lounge extension on it with bi fold doors. It would also need beautifying inside too. Should I be considering this? Anyway be else got words of wisdom? One if my concerns is tgat if I bring it up to date by changing facades and internal renovation, will it also end up being ugly and v of its time in 10/20 years time?? What is new in the horizon of house renovation that I should be thinking about insteD of the v current open plan, shiny kitchen cum lounge, bi fold doors, dark grey upvc windows, off white render or cedar clad? How much would this cost for a reasonably sized 4 bed detached? Have I gone utterly mad?!!

Believeitornot Mon 04-Jul-16 21:15:51

Yes why not?

And make it look right for now. Victorian houses look of their age.... I've seen some nicely clad houses which can be done subtly.

It sounds nice - detached with lots of potential.

Cladding - cedar might be better as ages better. Open plan is giving way to more "semi open" so you have dividers and ways of closing off spaces eg internal glass walls which give the light but you can make a room cosy.

I would get looking on Pinterest for ideas.

puggymummy1 Mon 04-Jul-16 21:54:20

I've just had an offer accepted on a 60s bungalow which needs a lot of updating but is on a great sized plot. I'm in a Victorian house now but can't wait to get my teeth into the bungalow.

Icklepickle101 Mon 04-Jul-16 22:10:10

Have you looked at weatherboard? Made my ugly 50's house look fairly modern with some new windows and front door!

JustCallMeDory Mon 04-Jul-16 22:23:33

We bought just this kind of house last year. Except delightful brown brick rather than red. We love the area, and bought at the very top of our budget so we're having to take our time to make the aesthetic changes that we'd like.

Like you, I'm a bit worried about making the house too 2010-20 so instead I'm trying to keep what's best about our late 60s/early 70s house and keep it true to it's architectural roots, rather than make it feel very contemporary for today.

So - I'm keeping the open tread staircase, but repainting to cover the dark, heavy mahogany-style wood. We're extending at the back, but instead of a modern 'box' extension, we're going to try to do a modern take on the angular style of the house. I'm replacing the 80s upvc front door with a more 1960s style wood and glass one.

Hoping to give the house back it's original focus on lots of light and try to learn to love the huge stark windows and horizontal rather than vertical feel to the rooms (all feels very odd after our last Edwardian house). I'm getting there, slowly.

JustCallMeDory Mon 04-Jul-16 22:26:32

Also - like the pp suggested, we're steering clear of a huge open plan kitchen/diner/living and instead going for open 'feel' spaces with dividers allowing lots of light to pour through (that's the plan...)

Chillywhippet Mon 04-Jul-16 23:03:00

Another one hoping to take on an ugly house, only ours is pebbledash with upvc fake leaded Windows.

Inside is nice and the previous remodelling is good with openish plan kitchen, dining, family space and separate living room.

So why are we buying it?

Little choice in area and lots of dated properties, many with art ex and fake beams
We like the plot and the location
It's got loads of light - windows in hall, on stairs and on landing etc

We are hoping to clad the house in something insulating and give it a facelift. This will also allow us to change the openings on the house and cover up the scars. Will probably go for extra french windows in kitchen and living room.

Our last house was an architect designed more open plan, very modern house. We lived in it for ten years and it looked great when we left. Good design will always look good. The slate and oak floors looked fine but the travertine bathrooms were probably dating.

I don't think you can guard against fashion changing. Our new house would suit the current trend for mid century style and fifties prints which are everywhere. Just buy stuff you like. When we lived in our grand design the skirting still got dusty and the laundry piled up and the kids left finger prints everywhere. confused

PumpingRSI Wed 06-Jul-16 21:51:19

Thanks everyone. We're viewing two uglies on Monday.

SquinkiesRule Fri 08-Jul-16 18:07:39

I like the boxy ugly 70's houses, they give so much space. I love all the ideas for making them look prettier.
We'll be looking again soon, and the big box houses always seem to offer a lot for the money.

Ambivalence Fri 08-Jul-16 23:11:24

I'm buying an ugly 70s box...and it has a hideous front door..that needs replacing ASAP...

Some good ideas on here

You do get a lot for your money with 70s I think...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now