Grade II listed house

(10 Posts)
OutIntoTheBlue Mon 04-Jul-16 15:46:35

Does anyone live on a Grade II listed house? We're moving, and DH has fallen in love with a listed house. Its approx 150-200 years old, original windows which form part of the listing, some original fireplaces etc. I'm a bit worried about the listed nature means, practically. Eg will we be able to double glaze the windows, can we knock through any of the rooms etc. The council haven't been particularly helpful, and the estate agents don't seem to have a clue...

PuraVida Mon 04-Jul-16 15:52:11

any alterations ie to windows or layout will need listed building consent. it's fairly safe to assume layout changes will not be permitted. double glazing unlikley but secondary glazing would be. the listing will cover the entirity of the building, not just parts of it but any LBC application will be considered in terms of the building's particular significance.

there's a saying that you shouldn't purchase a listed building uless you are content to keep it how it is

look on the SPAB and Historic England websites - both have advice for the owners of listed buildings

Local Authority conservation departments have been badly hit by funding cuts so you may well have to be persistent / wait a long time for any advice from them

CatherineDeB Mon 04-Jul-16 15:58:27

I have owned three listed houses, two II and one II*. We did a lot of restoration work to one of them, not fundamental changes though, more preservation. Have always found the listed buildings officers to be really helpful and onside.

Having said that I have embraced the features. My sister has done masses of work to her listed building, major major extension and other than the increased cost of finding reclaimed stone in the same style as her house hasn't had any problems.

Of course finding the right things to use can be more expensive than modern day alternatives.

CatherineDeB Mon 04-Jul-16 16:01:50

I used to live next door to a historic buildings consultant, that is who you need if you can't get hold of the local authority people, or a good builder who is used to working on listed buildings.

pinkieandperkie Mon 04-Jul-16 16:06:01

I have grade11 listed cottage and no there is not a lot you can change, defiantly not double glazing. We had to get permission to paint the front door. You also need to get permission to have a sky dish.

thisonethennomore Mon 04-Jul-16 17:26:56

We've got a Grade II listed house and were allowed to put DG in, Heritage suggested something called slim glaze.
We had lots of advice from our officer, we asked as soon as we'd completed and have since done a big extension & renovation. We haven't ticked every box and there have been a few compromises but we're happy with the result.
It's been an exhausting job though, I wouldn't do it again.

Reed88 Tue 05-Jul-16 09:55:15

Ah the property sounds beautiful , I love older buildings - they have much more character.

I think if you want double glazing, then you will need to get planning permission first (as its a listed property.)

But if thisonethennomore managed to get double glazing then hopefully you will be able too!

There are lots of windows now out there that are designed to maintain appearances in traditional properties so you shouldn't have a problem finding matching replacements.

Slimline windows seem to be the thing at the moment, I've had a look and all the companies seem to be promoting them.

I think they call some of them flush sash, they are suppose to give a seamless look. Really nice some of them! I do like how they appear actually.

How many windows would you be looking to get replaced? www.doubleglazingontheweb.co.uk you can get some online quotes to see how much roughly it will cost you.

I did it for our back room which is still single glazed, its ok to be fair - because we live in a maisonette on top floor. But it is noisy and just looks horrible!

Hope this helps!

Seeline Tue 05-Jul-16 10:08:30

Listed buildings are unique. Just because someone somewhere got Listed Building Consent to do something, it doesn't mean that it would be acceptable for any other property.
Really, making friends with the Council Conservation Officer/Historic Buildings Advisor is the way forward.
You could have a look on the Council website for previous applications (planning and/or LBC) which may give you an idea of what may have been acceptable in the past.
If the windows are actually mentioned in the Listing description, I would advise to tread warily if you are wanting to replace. Restoration/renovation on a like for like basis may be the most you are allowed to do.

CatherineDeB Tue 05-Jul-16 12:57:39

I agree that forging a good relationship with the listed buildings officer is the way to go. We really haven't had any problems, but we have always wanted to preserve what is there and/or change sympathetically.

I think it depends on who you are/what you want. We love it but my parents have a 'bloody old houses' view these days after living in a crumbling very old house for years.

My sister restored her Georgian sashes, but she wouldn't have wanted to do anything else tbh. A very thick interlined floor length curtain provides effective insulation.

We have never been allowed frosted glass in our bathrooms, none of them!

OutIntoTheBlue Thu 07-Jul-16 13:40:12

Thanks everyone, this is all reassuring. We've managed to finally get through to the conservation office, they have said a definite no to double glazing, but would likely allow secondary glazing. the links to heritage and Slimglaze very helpful, thanks all. We're thinking of putting an offer in, so fingers crossed.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now