F&ball question

(16 Posts)
anotherBadAvatar Sat 02-Jul-16 20:56:28

Never used f&b paint before and I've heard it can be difficult to work with.
I love love love stiffkey blue and want to do half our kitchen in it. Does it need 1 or 2 coats? Should I just get a dulux equivalent if I'm planning on doing the painting myself?

NotWithoutMyMerkin Sat 02-Jul-16 20:59:37

Take the colour chart to b&q and get them to mix the colour in valspar paint. Unless you're desperate for the f&b specific texture/finish of course. It's a complete pita to paint with and will need at least 2 coats

DoubleCarrick Sat 02-Jul-16 21:00:10

Definitely valspar colour mix

Cacofonix Sat 02-Jul-16 21:22:50

I have painted our lounge recently in F&B. Walls were cream and painted them a dark colour. Also F&B on woodwork. It is absolutely perfectly fine to work with. It took 2 coats (which is the exact same as Dulux) and I had no problems. I reckon if you love sticky blue use F&B and don't mess around with matching it.

anotherBadAvatar Sat 02-Jul-16 21:36:49

Cacofonix I like the idea of sticky blue! Not heard of Valspar by dulux, will google. Thanks

frenchielala Sat 02-Jul-16 21:37:24

Little Greene have a very similar finish and colour selection and are much easier to paint with in my opinion.

wowfudge Sat 02-Jul-16 21:38:22

I've used F&B and no issues. Ime, dark colours can be patchy - whatever paint you use - and need more than a couple of coats. This tends to be worse with any red-based colour though.

tilder Sat 02-Jul-16 21:47:34

I find f&b expensive and not great in terms of coverage. If you are after that ultra matt, slightly chalky finish I would go for a chalk or clay paint.

A lot of people rave about Annie Sloan (although I've never used it) and a friend recommended earthborn. He said the coverage was amazing and the finish very matt. Plus no paint smell and cheaper than f&b.

ontherightpath Sat 02-Jul-16 22:37:20

My painter loves F&B paint, reckons is his favourite to work with. You do have to prepare woodwork properly though & use the correct primer. 2 coats will give excellent coverage. Other paint (dulux) mixed to a f&b colour will only be approximate. I found this out the hard way when trying to find a cheaper alternative.

CodewordRochambeau Sun 03-Jul-16 09:27:22

Dulux don't make Valspar. They are two different brands. Homebase offer Dulux colour mixing and B&Q do Valspar.

I painted a sample of Stiffkey and found the coverage dreadful. Admittedly it was going onto a white wall but it needed three coats to be opaque. F&B will tell you that you need to use their 'dark tone' undercoat.

Also consider where in the kitchen it needs to go - even the modern emulsion is not scrubbable. Little Greene intelligent matt is scrubbable, however - have a look at Hick's Blue.

PuraVida Sun 03-Jul-16 10:56:13

If it's for kitchen cabinets you need something really hard wearing. Little Greene still do an oil based eggshell which f&b do not. I think it's far superior having used both

anotherBadAvatar Sun 03-Jul-16 21:50:36

Sorry- I meant half my kitchen walls (not cabinets). Just wondered if it's coverage is good enough for a high use-toddler-and-dog area, or whether I'd be looking at my uneven brush strokes for all eternity!

CodewordRochambeau Sun 03-Jul-16 21:52:35

If it's a high-use toddler and dog area then you need something tough and scrubbable. Not F&B!

ICanSeeForMiles Sun 03-Jul-16 21:57:09

Don't go to b&q, valspar is shit paint. Go to a crown decorator centre, and get them to colour match the paint (pay for a f&b tester and paint on to a piece of paper)
Ask for them to make it up with clean extreme paint (pricey, but nowhere near f&b prices). It's a godsend. Washable, can wipe anything off it.
I went to b&q and found a valspar colour I loved, got it colour matched at a crown centre yesterday. The difference in the two paints is honestly remarkable. The Crown paint (watered down for a first coat over fresh plaster) has completely covered. Well worth it.

catwithflowers Sun 03-Jul-16 22:09:32

We have painted all the rooms in our house with Johnstone's trade paint mixed to farrow and ball colours. I would wholeheartedly recommend it.

rosettesforjill Sun 03-Jul-16 22:24:13

Another recommendation for Crown Decorator Centre - they were excellent when we last bought paint, really great customer service

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now