Composite or salvaged door for our noisy house?!

(15 Posts)
WelshGirlSeeksMarmite Wed 29-Jun-16 11:54:26

DP and I bought a fairly standard 1930s terraced house last year, in need of total renovation and slowly (painfully slowly) we are doing it up room by room.

Currently there is a horrible 1980s front door and we would like to replace is with something more in keeping with the house but can’t agree on what. DP is in favour of a composite door as he thinks it will help dampen noise from outside but I’m not a big fan of their slightly plasticky look.

I’d rather get a salvage door but worry it won’t be as insulating. Our current door is badly fitted so I’m hoping a well fitted door would help with sound proofing but would appreciate any views or experience of this.
Thanks!

namechangedtoday15 Wed 29-Jun-16 13:46:25

Not that it helps, but we're mid extension at the mo and need to replace front door. Builder has recommended a composite door because the wooden ones (which I presume is what you mean if you go down the salvage route) tend to warp and take much more maintenance. We were also burgled last December and they simply kicked in the wooden door.

I've looked at quite a few now (we're also 1930s) and there are a couple of brands (Rock is one) where the finish, certainly in the dark colours, doesn't look plasticky.

MargotLovedTom Wed 29-Jun-16 13:48:59

We've just got a composite door and it doesn't look plasticky at all. The solid thunk when you shut is very satisfying wink.

MargotLovedTom Wed 29-Jun-16 13:49:22

They're not cheap though.

Workinzzz Wed 29-Jun-16 13:52:42

After having our door kicked in by burglars last year, we replaced both of ours with rock doors, we chose these as they were great value wise, they feel very secure, which is comforting after what happened. We also have a cat door in the rock door at the back. Neither of them look or feel plasticky.

Be careful which company you use, we used a dedicated "rock door" company for the back which cost us £1300, our builder then fitted the front door for us, this cost us around £700 so a big difference!

TreeBird16 Wed 29-Jun-16 14:31:23

We also got a composite. I love it. its very heavy and sturdy and there is not even a hint of a draft around it. I just can't see you getting the same quality from a salvaged door

ShotsFired Wed 29-Jun-16 14:38:46

As an addendum, take note of what lock you get. I was all smug with my multi point lock until I saw how few seconds it took to break into one on Watchdog.

whois Wed 29-Jun-16 15:26:45

I like composite, dark colours look very smart.

WelshGirlSeeksMarmite Wed 29-Jun-16 16:12:00

Thank you everyone for your replies. Very helpful although slightly annoying that it looks like DP will win this one grin
I have looked into composite doors so know they’re not cheap but don’t mind the investment if it’s secure, insulating (both noise and heat) and looks right! Rock doors came up a lot so will look into them a bit more. Good tip about the different in fitting costs Workinzzz

Coughingchildren5 Wed 29-Jun-16 16:28:56

I got a composite door in my previous house. It was very secure, draft proof and maintenance free. You won't regret it.

PigletJohn Wed 29-Jun-16 18:36:20

ShotsFired

I have a feeling you were looking at a Eurocylinder. Some people like them.

A BS3621 mortice deadlock is I think the best you can get, but they are normally fitted to wooden doors.

You can however get an ERA 5-lever mechanism, in a multipoint lock. It might be a special order, depending on your supplier. It's called the Vectis.

ChishandFips33 Thu 30-Jun-16 20:05:24

We have composite too after having wooden - so much quieter, zero drafts <bliss> and the 'thunk' is very satisfying

We got the wood type composite from Rockdoor or Solidor (can't remember - expensive though)

linspins Thu 30-Jun-16 21:32:56

Watching this with interest, as also needing a new door soon, and want to get one with as secure a lock type as poss. Thanks Piglet for the info above.

LBOCS2 Thu 30-Jun-16 21:56:11

My front door is powder coated steel. It feels very secure...

But I hear good things about composite smile

Ruhrpott Thu 30-Jun-16 22:40:38

We got a Palladio composite door and really like it. No draughty and cuts down noise and looks good. Wasn't cheap though

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now