Where to live in/near Loughborough

(11 Posts)
user1466951751 Sun 26-Jun-16 20:06:28

We are soon to be relocating from Sheffield to Loughborough. Myself and my husband will be working at different places. My husband will be working near Wickes/Staples and I will be working near the college.

We would like to buy a house (3 or 4 bed) but not sure about areas. We are wanting any advice on areas. We would like local amenities. Ideally a community feel. We will both have cars so transport not an issue but a bus route would be nice. We don't have children yet but hope to in future. We would like ease of access to the town centre for an evening etc.

Any suggestions welcome.

UntilTheCowsComeHome Sun 26-Jun-16 20:09:06

My bro and SIL live in Quorn just outside Loughborough.

It's quite expensive but if I could I'd move there like a shot. It's a gorgeous village with a great community feel and lots going on. The bus route from Leicester to Loughborough goes straight though it too.

lljkk Sun 26-Jun-16 20:11:21

Quorn is wrong side of Lboro for where they are working.
If you want a large village, East Leake comes to mind.
In Lboro itself, are you more urban trendy types or more big garden & keep the world at bay, but still in town or sweet village would be swell.

What budget? Do you need to shoot off to Sheffield or somewhere else regularly to see family?

usual Sun 26-Jun-16 20:11:25

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

lljkk Sun 26-Jun-16 20:13:43

Would you live in an old terrace or do you want a modern house with off-road parking for both cars?

user1466951751 Sun 26-Jun-16 20:17:14

Don't need to have access to family - they are in West Yorkshire and not sure being if being the south side of Loughborough will make much of a difference time wise.

Ideally looking at semi-detached or modern townhouse, rather than terraced?

Thought about Hathern, areas of Thopre Acre (current houses for sale in Colling Close, Lindisfarne) or south of Loughborough (Woodthorpe way)

lljkk Sun 26-Jun-16 20:26:37

Hathern has no sense of community ime. Just a very busy road to contend with. I think you might like Thorpe Acre.

user1466951751 Sun 26-Jun-16 20:30:37

Thanks lljkk - Thorpe Acre seems pretty big, are there any particular areas? What is it like in general? Good schools/amenities/bus routes etc?

We are hoping to visit the areas in a few weeks to try and suss things out ourselves too

lljkk Sun 26-Jun-16 20:31:19

I never lived that side, so can't comment exactly, but try MN local, maybe?

user1466951751 Sun 26-Jun-16 20:33:17

Thanks - posted the same on there earlier but no response so posted on this board and lots of good responses really quickly!

Girlscout1910 Sun 26-Jun-16 22:50:29

Woodthorpe us predominantly a new village which borders shelthorpe (not the nicest bit of town). Thorpe acre is massive but mainly nice and has reasonable schools. I really like the forest rd, beacon rd part of town going up towards nanpanton, you're close enough to walk to college and the town centre and the houses are nice.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now