AIBU to hope that lots of new properties will come onto the market on Friday

(14 Posts)
lavenderpekins Tue 21-Jun-16 19:18:10

Just that really.. Anyone else hopeful? We're 'under offer' but barely anything on the market where we live 😖 (SE)

Whatthefoxgoingon Tue 21-Jun-16 19:24:49

Why do you think this will happen?

LineyReborn Tue 21-Jun-16 19:25:46

Presumably post-referendum activity.

Nickname1980 Tue 21-Jun-16 20:09:43

I was actually talking to an estate agent today who told me that he was holding properties for buyers that they will list IF we stay in the EU.

My property will be one of them, actually! But that'll go up regardless as I do need to move. It's due to go up on Monday.

Nickname1980 Tue 21-Jun-16 20:10:59

Holding properties for buyers? I mean holding properties for sellers! Argh brain.

alazuli Tue 21-Jun-16 20:32:49

ooo... that's interesting to know! i've been looking for months and there's so little on the market it's ridiculous. i eagerly await friday's potential deluge. although if we remain i hope this doesn't mean asking prices getting more stupid.

Nickname1980 Tue 21-Jun-16 20:38:07

According to the estate agent (but who knows how true???), prices are due an "adjustement" anyway, no matter the outcome.

But a leave vote will mean the market will be a bit tumble-weedy as people wait to see if there's going to be a recession.

I have heard that before too actually... We'll have to wait and see!

If it helps, I live in London, and will be listing my house for 5% less (even if we remain) than I did a year ago (I didn't sell a year ago for a bunch of non-related reasons).

Savagebeauty Tue 21-Jun-16 20:39:40

Interesting....I've sold and am looking to buy, but not much around in the area I want

SueGeneris Tue 21-Jun-16 20:44:11

Yes me too. Have just gone on the market but not a single phone call (wasn't really expecting it until after the referendum) and there are few properties on the market that suit us, and the one we did view has just been removed.

alazuli Tue 21-Jun-16 20:44:35

Nickname1980 - i can't see there being an adjustment unless there's a recession. the problem is people keep paying these ridiculous prices. if none of us did, prices would have to lower.

also, from a buyer's pov it's better to see a house listed at a lower price you might expect as you think you're onto a bargain. it's a good way of sparking a bidding war!

Nickname1980 Tue 21-Jun-16 20:51:04

I have wondered about the adjustment, alazuli! It's prob also my wishful thinking... London's bonkers!

That makes me feel better about a lower price... I really want to move! Haha!

lavenderpekins Tue 21-Jun-16 23:15:57

Ooh lots of replies thank you.. Have just been watching 'the debate'! I think you're right that if we remain they'll be a flurry of properties put on over the weekend.. But yes maybe tumbleweeds if we leave.. But I'm ok with prices going down..!
Sheesh..

Freespirit99 Wed 22-Jun-16 06:09:37

We have been looking all year. We sold at the end of 2015 and went into rented. 2016 has been very slow with not much on the market. We have now made an offer which has been accepted, but even the estate agents have admitted that everyone is waiting for the referendum to be over.

lavenderpekins Wed 22-Jun-16 07:30:34

Good luck freespirit hope it all goes through for you!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now