Trying to create a 3rd bedroom in 2 bed terrace

(23 Posts)
Mottled Mon 20-Jun-16 16:55:10

We need a third bedroom but cannot afford to do a loft conversion or move. The property is a Victorian 2 bed end terrace, so the options are:

1. The master bedroom is 4.2m by 3.9, divide this to make two bedrooms. I am not overly keen on this as it will be a three bedroom without a master (other bedroom is 2.9m by 2.9m).

2. The upstairs bathroom is 2.8m by 2.8m. Split this to create an upstairs toilet/shower room and tiny bedroom (about 1.8m by 1.7m).

3. Move bathroom downstairs to where ds toilet is and lose some utility space and change us bathroom to bedroom. Maybe this is the most sensible option but I really don't want to lose a toilet and prefer upstairs bathrooms.

What would you do?

EssentialHummus Mon 20-Jun-16 17:09:42

Oh gosh, that's a tough one. Are there other options (assuming this is a standard layout terrace):

- Double height extension out back

- Single height extension out back, shifting kitchen/lounge there and using existing lounge (front room) as bedroom - easily done with MDF and easily take-down-able

- Rethink who can share with who?

Of your options, I like (2) best. I don't have an issue with downstairs-only loos and bathrooms, but I think it puts some people off (esp. with little ones). On the other hand, if you're going to be in the house medium-long term, this matters less - do what you need to do and deal with undoing it 10-15 years down the line.

lalalonglegs Mon 20-Jun-16 17:40:49

I don't understand why the bedroom would be so small if you split the bathroom. Presumably, you would put in the shower-room with a small corridor along the side that would lead into the bedroom so the bedroom should be at least 2.8 wide but (yes, not very deep). Anyway, shower room and small bedroom behind it is the way I would go.

However, if I thought a couple of years of saving would mean I could convert the loft, I would partition front room as cheaply as possible and do the loft as soon as possible, undoing partition when the loft was complete.

lalalonglegs Mon 20-Jun-16 17:41:31

Don't know why I put brackets around (yes, not very deep).

NapQueen Mon 20-Jun-16 17:43:52

Split the master but not in half. Make a third the bathroom, remainder the bedroom. Male existing bathroom a bedroom.

Philjimmum Mon 20-Jun-16 17:46:24

What quotes have you had for a loft? Could do from as little as £25k...

whois Mon 20-Jun-16 17:47:43

Eeeek that is tricky.
Do you have floor plans, because corridor and door placement will be a factor.

Are you thinking you will be here for a long time, or are you thinking you'll need to sell in the medium term?

Since you say you can't afford a loft conversion I'm assuming you can't afford any type of extension?

Option 4 - nick a bit of room from both bedroom 1 and 2 for a thin internal bathroom with no windows. Make bathroom into bedroom 3.

This would be my prefered option as you only loose a little bit from bedroom 1 and 2, get a decent bedroom 2 AND still keep your upstairs bathroom.

Option 5 - split bathroom into a small toilet and ok bedroom. Add downstairs bathroom where your toilet and utility is.

That is a little off putting to future buyers but not as much as having no upstairs toilet. And not as annoying for you to live with as no upstairs toilet.

NapQueen Mon 20-Jun-16 17:49:11

"From as little as 25k" gringrin grin

Only on fucking Mumsnet.

whois Mon 20-Jun-16 17:49:54

However, if I thought a couple of years of saving would mean I could convert the loft, I would partition front room as cheaply as possible and do the loft as soon as possible, undoing partition when the loft was complete.

This. Partition for now for under a grand. Could do super cheap for kids and not even worry about having to go thru 1 room to the other. Then do loft conversion in a few years.

Philjimmum Mon 20-Jun-16 17:54:38

Trying to be helpful
We had quotes of 40-50k then found a company for 23k. Could only afford it by remortgaging.

Philjimmum Mon 20-Jun-16 17:57:07

Also option 3 of above may cost 10-15k.
You could board and insulate loft and do velux rather than full on conversion for around that

whois Mon 20-Jun-16 18:25:14

Yes anything involving moving lots of walls and moving plumbing is going to be pricy really.

Mottled Mon 20-Jun-16 18:37:55

Thanks for your replies. To answer a few things:

We already use the living room as our bedroom but really we could do with ds space as we have 3 kids so we want to get all the bedrooms upstairs.

Cannot see ourselves moving for 5 - 10 years.

Don't think that it is feasible to put bathroom/toilet in bed 1 because all of the drainage/soil stack is on the other side of the house and the big bedroom is across the front of the house.

The bathroom is an add on from some point.

Lala - Unfortunately we cannot do it that way as the wall next to the entrance is shared so no plumbing could go there.

Have not had any quotes yet but thought a loft conversion would be 25k plus. The loft is not even boarded so not sure how I could even get someone up there for a quote (that we couldn't afford anyway).

I have attached an existing floor plan (not great as I did it myself)!

Dungandbother Mon 20-Jun-16 18:41:45

Can you partition the small room - assume this is the room on your drawing?

Put another door in on the landing.

I realise that one room may have no window. And it would be tiny bunk type space for the children.
But you'd have the nice big front room!

That's cheap and easily put back later.

Mottled Mon 20-Jun-16 18:49:10

Yes that is the small room. Thanks for all your ideas, need to have a think.....

Philjimmum Mon 20-Jun-16 19:14:29

Where are you in the Uk? Rough area?

Mottled Mon 20-Jun-16 19:37:27

Norfolk/cambridgeshire

ClashCityRocker Mon 20-Jun-16 19:46:07

I'd go bathroom downstairs but keep a toilet upstairs, if that's an option.

90% of the problems of downstairs bathrooms are because of the toilet in the middle of the night situation.

AppleAndBlackberry Mon 20-Jun-16 19:56:05

I'd do option 2, or partition the smaller bedroom. Two 1.4m x 3m rooms could work quite well with high or mid sleepers.

namechangedtoday15 Mon 20-Jun-16 20:01:35

I think you may be surprised (pleasantly) at the cost of a loft conversion. Our neighbours have just done it (with 2 dormers) for considerably less than your estimate.

Artandco Mon 20-Jun-16 20:52:31

I would do the loft but not officially. Yes a full on loft conversion can be expensive, but if you paid for a window to be added, a decent loft ladder rather than stairs, and insulated and boarded out your sleeve you could easily use as a bedroom unofficially.

Philjimmum Mon 20-Jun-16 20:59:06

I agree with previous poster.
And Norfolk builders much cheaper than south east! Get loads of quotes.

Obeliskherder Mon 20-Jun-16 23:51:56

Tough one. It depends if you can sell the 2nd bedroom as a live-able master. If it's shaped so you can have a bed against one wall and a run of storage against the opposite wall, option 1 would tempt me. Consider the shallow version of ikea pax - it would give a lot of storage and the illusion of even more. It's also fairest for the children.

Other than that, I think the loo only upstairs with shower moving downstairs would be the most appealing. People shopping for a Victorian terrace will be more prepared than most to have a downstairs shower. No solution is ideal, but you'd be gaining a whole extra bedroom so whatever the compromise, it only offsets a real benefit. Ideally you'd create a valid 3rd bedroom (so window & big enough for a bed) to max value. Otherwise, split one of the bedrooms as a temporary measure and ask estate agents' advice on whether to put it back when you come to sell.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now